Many of the problems currently faced by post-secondary education can be addressed by making our idea of education more inclusive. Education can be broadened in three key areas: the working world, civil society, and individual health.

The Rae Review suggests that the primary function of post-secondary education is to prepare students to be effective members of the workforce. Although we students are often uncertain of where we will fit in, nearly all of us are pursuing an education with an idea of finding a job. Programs such as paid co-ops can help students start to fulfill their long-term career goals while concurrently overcoming more immediate financial worries. But many of us who work during university find our skills severely under-used in the job market. With this in mind, we should not limit co-op to traditional trade skills. Every part of the Canadian labour market is going to require new workers to cope with our aging population.

Right now, students are not encouraged to contribute to civil society during their educational experience. We learn a lot in a variety of fields that certainly applies to many aspects of social life, but not much time is allotted for us to enter into public discussion. The breadth requirement at this and many other Ontario universities for a Bachelor of Arts and/or Science degree consists of at least one course each from the humanities, social sciences, and science. The idea of breadth is part of the package of knowledge represented by a university diploma. We could make more effective citizens out of university graduates if applying our knowledge to Ontario society was a component of our post-secondary education system.

Finally, we need to foster better individual and social health at universities. Many British universities dedicate one afternoon per week to exercise activities for the entire student body. A healthy young population is a critical component to a productive workforce and economy. This would be particularly useful at large institutions like U of T in introducing a sense of social atmosphere to a very sterile and isolated university community. Along with a lack of exercise, many students lack nutritional awareness that is undoubtedly impeding their performance.

These are the things that Bob Rae needs to know. It would serve us well to incorporate co-op work into all types of post-secondary education. Students who are applying their knowledge to the society they live in are less likely to feel what they are learning is irrelevant, and therefore less likely to drop out. And the future of Ontario will be more robust if everyone who wants a degree has personal health as part of their breadth of knowledge.

One last note on the subject of breadth: there is a very rigid system of marks and record keeping at Ontario universities. Although this is necessary to an extent, the idea of permanent records for all courses is a big deterrent for students who want to take a course simply out of interest. Some designated “off the record” courses would go a long way to contribute to students’ overall university experience, since students might be more willing to broaden their knowledge without the risk of hurting their GPAs.