Every February, North America marks Black History Month, and U of T will be part of that celebration. This month is a time of reflection on, and celebration of, black identity and diversity, honouring the contributions of black artists, activists, inventors, philosophers, and leaders.

“Black History Month is a valuable time for people of all backgrounds to learn and share things about what is considered to be black,” said C.J. Cromwell Simmonds of U of T’s Black Students’ Association (BSA). “There’s so much education and passion that Black History Month gives us the opportunity to be aware of.”

Kofi Hope, the BSA’s VP of Public Relations, agreed.

“We have a responsibility to contribute,” Hope said. “It’s a given. Why Black History Month is important is [the goal of] the eventual elimination of it. Our knowledge of history is Eurocentric and focuses on Western accomplishments and views, and for a long time blacks weren’t included. This month addresses those deficiencies.”

“Hart House hosts 32 clubs, committees, and we’re very committed and interested with cultural exchange with other student groups,” said Zoe Dille, a Hart House program advisor who is helping to organize BSA events in February. “Black history month is a time when we focus on African contributions and how they’ve touched people, especially musical contributions.” Hart House will be hosting a series of events throughout February in celebration.

On February 4, the BSA, Hip Hop Headz, and the Korean-Canadian U of T Students’ Association will hold a panel discussion and musical performance called “Crossing Cultures,” inspired by the cultural interactions of blacks and Asians through hip-hop.

“We hope to open up a dialogue, at U of T and throughout Toronto, on the inclusiveness of hip-hop,” said Justin Gang, KCUTSA President. “This event will give a venue for people to share their personal experiences as well as examine the common perceptions and understanding of hip-hop culture.” The panel will include DJ Subliminal, DJ Bozack, Will Strickland, and others. “People of Asian descent have been present in hip-hop since its inception and a two-way exchange has taken place that is rarely discussed,” said Hope. “We want to demonstrate that hip-hop is a growing and evolving global movement with the power to connect.”

“We’re definitely looking forward to V.I.B.E.,” said Simmonds, referring to a February 25 theatrical show. V.I.B.E. 2005: Visions in the Black Experience will feature dramatic performances through music, poetry, storytelling, and visual media. “The theme this year is Black Canadians and it offers people a glimpse of where we’ve been, where we are, and where we’re going.”

“The BSA wants to share our people’s contributions,” Simmonds said. “Black history is an international history that’s often considered unimportant. Thankfully things are slowly changing, but people need to actively participate.”

Dille added that the choice of theme for the event this year was particularly important.

“Many people aren’t aware of the black experience in Canada,” she said. “We’ve been here since the 16th century and many blacks are fourth- or fifth-generation Canadians. If you removed our contributions to knowledge and cultural production throughout history, the world wouldn’t be recognizable.”