What’s on tap this week, bartender?

Many teams took last weekend off to give thanks and take a well-deserved break from university athletics. The soccer teams get back to work at home this weekend, though.
The men’s soccer team will play Laurentian Saturday afternoon and Nipissing Sunday. Both games get under way at 2 p.m. on Varsity Field.
The team has only allowed two goals in seven games this season, and keeper Luciano Lombardi has posted three straight shutouts.
The women’s soccer squad will take on Laurentian and Nipissing’s women’s teams this weekend as well. Action starts at noon on Saturday and Sunday, respectively, for those matches.
-Matt Somers

Run run away

The Blues played several home games over the weekend that they were not thankful for Sunday evening. The rugby and football teams were run over by ungrateful visitors that were not in the holiday spirit.
The men’s rugby probably wished they were camouflaged chameleons after they tangled with Queen’s Friday afternoon. Queen’s scored early and often en route to a 58-0 blanking of the Blues.
Bryn Davies put 13 points on the board for the visitors, while Justin Chang and Josh Chambers tacked on ten points each for the Golden Gaels. U of T was shut out for the second consecutive game.
The next chance for the rugby boys to redeem themselves is Saturday, as the Blues will travel to Windsor to take on the Lancers.
The football team looked for their first win of the season against the Ottawa Gee Gees on Shriner’s Day at Varsity Stadium Saturday. By the end of the game they were searching for answers, as the Gee Gees trounced the Blues 72-0. They just couldn’t be all things to everyone on this day.
U of T was optimistic after a quarter, as they trailed by only nine at that point. Contrast that with the score midway through the third frame, at which point Ottawa was up 42-0.
Joshua Sacobie finished the game with 319 passing yards on 15 completions. Gee Gees kicker Joe Valtellini was named player of the game after booting a 69-yard kickoff in the contest.
The Blues get their second-last shot at victory this weekend in Kingston, as they are scheduled to do battle with Queen’s on October 15.

We be ballin’
The men’s baseball team lost both halves of a double-header against Laurier on Saturday afternoon. Both games were lost by a single run.
The Lancers scored single runs in the fourth and sixth innings in game one, while the Blues could only manage a lone run in the third in a 2-1 Laurier win. The Blues also committed four errors in the game.
In game two the Lancers posted two runs in the first inning and two in the third on their way to a 4-3 victory. The Blues scratched out a run in the third and two in the sixth, but came up just short again.
Lancer Chris Mokriy drove in two runs, while pitcher Robbie Thompson retired the last five Blues batters to record the save.
The team play their last two games of the year today at McMaster. They are not in playoff contention.
-MS