Lest we forget

Take two minutes out of your busy schedule to remember all those U of T faculty and staff who lost their lives fighting for Canada in the various conflicts over the years. The sports staff would like to send a special salute to all the FPEH staff and students who were killed in battle. Their contributions to Canada will never be forgotten.

-VARSITY SPORTS DEPARTMENT

Intramural game of the week #2

Last week’s Game of the Week turned out to a slightly one-sided affair, with the University of Toronto at Mississauga pounding Victoria College 92-39 in men’s division 2 basketball action.

UTM dominated this game from start to finish and unquestionably cemented their spot as one of the teams to beat in division 2. They hope to continue this stellar play and bring a championship back to Mississauga after coming up just short last season.

This week’s edition of the Game of the Week features the Men’s rugby championship game, where the Faculty of Engineering takes on St. Michael’s College (Sunday, 12 pm, Back Campus West).

Both teams are coming off shutout wins against very good teams in last weekend’s semifinals. SMC defeated UTM 10-0 in the first semi, while SKULE knocked off UTSC 19-0 in the other.

SMC holds the regular season bragging rights based on a hard fought 3-0 win back in October. This match should be one for the ages on what is sure to be a very muddy back campus.

-MATT VENRESCA

On the road, Kerouac Style

On Saturday night, the Blues pummeled the Brock Badgers 5-1 with youngsters Kristy Paterson (1 G, 1 A) and Lyndsey Ryan (2 G, 1 A) leading the way for U of T.

The following night the Blues were in tough against the first place Laurier Golden Hawks. Laurier continued their strong play, outshooting U of T 31-17 on their way to a convincing 4-0 win. Kristen Trost recorded the shutout.

The Blues continue to sit fourth in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) standings with a 4-2-0-1 record.

This coming weekend, the Blues travel to Queen’s for back to back games versus the Golden Gaels (5-2-1-0). U of T will need a strong showing to prove to the rest of the OUA that they belong among the conference’s elite.

-MV

Birdies fly into playoffs

The Blues finished their regular season November 6 against York. Competitive play saw the Blues win their closest-and most exciting-set of matches, 7-6.

The Blues went 3-3 in their singles matches, and 4-3 in their doubles and mixed doubles matches. Exemplary play came from Melissa Nock, who dominated her competition, and from the team of Anca Gaspar and Phil Bennington, who won an incredibly close matchup.

Other great performances were seen in wins by Calvin Cheng and the team of Nock and Gaspar.

The Blues were down 6-4 in the late going, but won the last three matches of the day to steal the win.

The season for the Blues was an incredible turnaround. They won an amazing 41, which is way up from last year. Both Gaspar and Nock only lost one match each in singles play this season, and Bennington went undefeated in the regular season (7-0).

The Blues will be facing Waterloo in the semifinals in the playoffs on November 20 in London, while Western plays McMaster. The winners of those matches will face off for the gold medal later that same day.

-PERRY KING