Our humblest apologies, madam

The Varsity would like to acknowledge the following errors in recent issues of the paper. The byline of the January 16 article entitled “Losing the Christmas 25” should have read “Jessica McMahon and Sarah McMahon.”

Also, the byline in the January 19 article entitled “More than a simple game” should have read “Marisse Roco and Matt Somers.” The names were accidentally shortened to MR and MS.

The Varsity regrets these errors.

-MATT SOMERS

Return ball to sender

The women’s volleyball team was well aware of the need to beat sub-par teams on Wednesday night, as they walked out of Ryerson University with a 3-1 victory. This match, like many before it, wasn’t very close after the first set.

Ryerson (4-12) got off to a fast start, surprising the Blues with solid play in the first stanza. The Rams took the first set 25-18, but they couldn’t sustain this exceptional play in the next three.

The Blues (17-1), woken up by a poor first set, kicked their play up a notch in sets two, three, and four-winning each with ease. The Rams were outscored 75-41 over the last three stanzas in large part because they couldn’t match Toronto’s power game.

Asya Danilova was the leading scorer for the Blues on the day, as is often the case. She managed 22 points and 15 kills in the match.

Ryerson’s Erin Gallagher did her best to keep her team in the game, compiling 15 points and 13 kills on the day. Unfortunately the Rams got very little scoring out of the rest of the team, leading to their defeat at the hands of the Blues.

Toronto is now securely at the top of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) east division. Ryerson currently sits in sixth place.

-MS

Finally, a joyous farewell

The men’s volleyball team ended the home portion of their schedule with a big win. They rolled out the red carpet for York on Sunday, but quickly pulled it out from under the feet of the Lions.

The Blues (10-8) swept York (12-6) in three hard-fought sets before an appreciative crowd at the AC. Brendan Peel was the star for Toronto, scoring 18 points and 16 kills.

Sholan Trivedi kept the Lions close, leading all scorers with 20 points and 19 kills, but it wasn’t enough. The Blues triumphed by a 25-20, 25-22, 25-23 score.

-MS

What does a tree house have in common with a scratch card?

So, what does a tree house have in common with a scratch card? The answer is that RONA and the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLGC) have both recently found creative ways to help fund amateur athletics.

On January 30, RONA announced that it would spend at least $4 million over the next five years to sponsor 100 athletes who have potential to compete in the 2008 or 2010 Olympics. They have titled this project the “Growing with Our Athletes” program.

This comes on the heels of an OLGC announcement that they would start a new scratch game to help fund amateur athletes. The OLGC aims to provide $2.5 million to help pay for training, living, and school costs of these athletes through their Quest for Gold lottery.

Visit rona.ca and olgc.ca for more details on these programs.

-MS