On May 29, Nike will be sponsoring the second annual 10K run on Center Island. I had a chance to speak to three Running Rivals, the official nickname given to the individuals leading their respective neighbourhoods in training runs. Meet Sandman (representing the Beaches), Urban Suburban (representing Mississauga) and Bay Street Brat (representing downtown Toronto and U of T alumnus.)

Why did you choose to become a Running Rival?

SANDMAN: It was a matter of being chosen by Nike. They wanted outgoing, social spokespersons. I guess I fit what they were looking for.

URBAN SUBURBAN: I’ve wanted to be one my whole life. I’ve never stopped running. It was a matter of time before Nike asked me to be a Running Rival.

BAY STREET BRAT: It wasn’t a choice. It was a fulfillment of being.

What goals do you have for your running groups?

SANDMAN: We’re going to be #1! The Beaches are taking you all down!

URBAN SUBURBAN: To be #1 overall!

BAY STREET BRAT: It would be great if my running group became my own little army. One day I’ll come home from work and my wife will have left me, saying that ‘you work too much and don’t care about me, blah blah blah’. I’d like the group to become my collective wife. Is that weird?

How do you determine who will be #1 overall?

SANDMAN: The neighbourhood with the greatest number of participants registered, shoes donated to the Reuse a Shoe program, and kilometers logged wins.

URBAN SUBURBAN: Mississauga is #1 in the number of shoes donated. We’re working on the rest.

BAY STREET BRAT: We’re dead last and proud of it. Downtown people are too rich and powerful to be aware of anything besides our greatness.

Anything you’d like to say about May 29th?

SANDMAN: We’ve got greater experience, better equipment, and we’re out to be #1!

URBAN SUBURBAN: Holla at der boy! We’re fired up and we got game!

BAY STREET BRAT: Downtown will dominate! We’ll always be winners because we live in beautiful, polluted downtown!

For more information, check out www.runto.ca