San Diego at Baltimore

With Phillip Rivers coming into his own at quarterback, the Chargers head to Baltimore to take on the undefeated Ravens this week in a pivotal game for both teams.

The Chargers have pummelled their two opponents so far with a combined score of 67-7. But remember, those offensive masterpieces came up against the sordid defences of the lowly Raiders and Titans, no better this year than last year when the teams had rankings of 27th and 19th overall, respectively. Rivers has been strong so far, completing 71 per cent of his passes, but he has yet to face a defence like the Ravens’. Middle linebacker and two-time defensive player of the year Ray Lewis is back to his old self, and so are the Ravens defence. With the second overall defence so far this year, the team conjures up memories of the one that carried Baltimore to a Super Bowl victory in 2000. Plus, the D is getting some extra help this year from linebacker Bart Scott, who is quietly leading the league in sacks with five, already surpassing his total of four last year.

I predict this game will be the first hiccup in River’s young career, as he will falter facing a physical D in Baltimore. Ravens QB Steve McNair’s experience should be enough against the Chargers, who hold the best defence in the NFL statistically, and lead Baltimore to a close victory.

New England at Cincinnati

After a statement game against Pittsburgh last week, the Bengals host the Patriots in a super AFC tilt. Cincinnati QB Carson Palmer was up and down all day against the Steelers throwing for four touchdowns, but getting intercepted twice. Wideout T.J. Houshmandzadeh was spectacular though, catching 9 balls for 94 yards, with two highlight-reel grabs in the endzone.

New England comes off of a disappointing showing against Denver last week, where they were held to just 7 points, with running back Corey Dillon leaving the game in the first quarter with an arm injury. The Patriots’ depleted receiving core has Super Bowl MVP QB Tom Brady starting to look a little uneasy. Brady will need to get some help from off-season acquisition WR Doug Gabriel and rookie running back Laurence Maroney if the Patriots have any hope of taking down the Bengals.

Meanwhile, the way Cincinnati has quietly and confidently gone about their business this season has them lurking as a potential roadblock for the Colts at the end of the year. Cincinnati will tally a sure-handed victory against a hurting Patriots team, dropping New England to 2-2.

Seattle at Chicago

In what may be the best game this year, the Seahawks travel to Soldier Field in Chicago to take on the Bears. The Bears look like they might be the class of the NFC with the offence finally chugging along to ride up front with its fabulous defence. After looking like one of the game’s best in his first two games this year (38 for 53, with 5 TDs), QB Rex Grossman came back to earth a bit last week against Minnesota. The former Gator threw two picks against the Vikings, but rebounded in the end with a TD pass that put the Bears on top. WR Mushin Mohammad was awesome (9 catches for 118 yards) for a Bears passing game that is finally getting some recognition after constantly playing second fiddle to the rushing attack. The Seahawks were dealt a huge blow earlier this week, learning that RB Shaun Alexander will be out three weeks with a broken foot. Alexander has struggled this season regardless, mainly due to the departure of guard Steve Hutchison, who was a huge factor in Alexander winning the MVP trophy last year. The Seattle offence still had no trouble scoring last week against the Giants, where they put up 35 first half points in a 42-30. But losing Alexander is devastating, and his loss will make a terrific offence one-dimensional. That will cost the Seahawks the chance at the win.

Last week: 3-0. Season to date: 5-2.