Bikechain, who were seeking a 25 cent levy to provide funding for repair and maintenance supplies, incurred five demerit points for campaigning on a bike within 6 metres of polling stations. Another 10 points were given for interfering with poll clerks by touching confidential materials.

Though the unofficial results were 88 per cent in favour, the Bikechain referendum did not reach quorum, only receiving around 1,000 out of a necessary 2,100 votes. Bikechain said it would put the issue to a referendum issue again next spring.

Shaun Alphonso, a University College by-election candidate, received eight out of a possible 35 demerit points for violation of campaign rules under the Elections Procedure Code. Alphonso was cited as failing to comply with the rules of fair play, sabotaging the campaigns of other candidates, misrepresenting fact in an online forum, and using of a non-arm’s-length party to assist with his campaign.

Both he and Robert Kleinman, another UC candidate, incurred an additional 10 demerit points for posting campaign material online without the approval of the CRO.

“There were some misunderstandings and misinterpretations of rules regarding Facebook,” said Alphonso. “The information did need to go through SAC first.”

Official results of the by-election have not yet been released.

-Amy Smithers