Eight-thousand eight hundred people will die today of AIDS. That’s the equivalent of four full classes at Convocation Hall, wiped out in twenty-four hours by a preventable, treatable illness. And over forty million people with HIV/AIDS are currently living with that fact.

But we can respond. As Canadian university students, we have the responsibility, the opportunity, and the ability to make a difference.

Our government, however, has shirked its responsibilities. At the International AIDS Conference back in August, the government promised that they would announce new initiatives to fight the global pandemic. We’re still waiting for that announcement. Our leaders are sending the message that AIDS is not a priority, and Canadians across the country are joining together to tell the government that they disagree.

The Global Treatment Access Group is a Canadian coalition of AIDS-related organizations that has compiled a platform outlining the steps the Canadian government must take. According to the GTAG, Ottawa must double its current financial support of new prevention technologies such as microbicides and vaccines, and announce a timetable for raising Canada’s development assistance to 0.7 per cent of the gross national income. The report also urges the Canadian government to contribute five per cent of the resources required by the UN and G8-endorsed Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria. Further, we must invest in public health care systems in AIDS-affected countries and support greater training and retention of health care workers.

In addition, Canada must completely and unconditionally cancel the debts of countries burdened with AIDS and poverty, and follow through on commitments to make medicines more affordable.

U of T students have the opportunity to get involved in this campaign. In several classes, at many of the events taking place on World AIDS Day on Dec. 1, and at the main event at the Hart House Great Hall at 7:00 p.m., postcards will be distributed that can be signed and sent to Ottawa, asking the government to commit to these steps. In addition, a group of students will be holding meetings with Toronto-area MPs to discuss these issues. On Wednesday, Nov. 29 at 8:00 p.m. in the South Dining Room of Hart House, there will be a workshop covering the issues in the GTAG platform and developing strategies for talking to your Member of Parliament about AIDS.

The workshop will be hosted by Students Against Global AIDS, a national, student-run organization with chapters at several Canadian universities. SAGA is working with many organizations around the world to pursue several initiatives, including an “access to essential medicines” campaign, a G8 campaign, and the implementation of the GTAG platform. SAGA’s outreach program tours secondary schools, raising awareness and inspiring action among high school students.

Every year five million people get infected with HIV, over half of whom are young people aged 15-24. This pandemic is affecting our generation more than any other, but we can also help shape the present and the future.

As Kofi Annan has said, “Our greatest challenge is to extend…extraordinary examples of leadership…to the mainstream of everyday life. In the absence of a cure, the mass mobilization of every sector of society remains our only weapon.” So let’s mobilize our sector of society. AIDS is beatable, but only if we choose to get involved.

Julie Sermer is Co-Director of Students Against Global AIDS. To join or find out more about SAGA, World AIDS Day, or the GTAG platform and workshop, check out saga.sa.utoronto.ca.