In the material world, Japan is known for churning out cutting-edge technological devices and state-of-the-art gaming systems. In the economic world, the licensing of Japanese cartoons is a million-dollar industry.

But in the moral world, does the new Actroid Der2 pave a harmful path towards the degradation of women?

The Actroid Der2 is the most recent version of the Humanoid Robot, aimed at realistically capturing the movements and expression of a typical Japanese girl. Though not for sale, an Actroid can be rented for $3,980 CDN for five days (with a late fee of $773 CDN). This “fembot” moves, talks, and looks uncannily like the real thing-apparently, even the skin feels real. But what’s disturbing is not how realistic these Actroids are, but what their purpose is.

Unlike women in the Western world, Japan’s female population does not enjoy the level of economical and political liberty afforded to men. This situation is understandable considering that it is (mainly male) business leaders who are to blame for girl’s underwear and animated pornography being easily available through vending machines. What is also shocking is the way women are often depicted in Japanese cinema. Female characters are often degraded through explicit acts of rape and subjugation, depictions that run counter to the fundamentals of Canadian society and taste.

Ironically, in December 1996, Japan unveiled its Plan for Gender Equality 2000, a national plan designed to promote and reach gender equality by the 21st century. The re-examination of women’s rights in regards to gender equality and female victimization were the main points of the plan’s analysis of Japan’s social system. Yet, any progress in this area is moot, in light of the introduction of the Actroid Der2.

Ignorance is clearly to blame for the world’s lack of reaction or questioning of the purpose of this new robot. The fact that one can rent the Der2 sounds eerily like a kind of robotic prostitution. Many might retort that blow-up dolls and erotic paraphernalia have been around for years without causing many visible negative effects. But no sex product had previously achieved this level of uncanny human simulation. The Actroid Der2 may not be a living organism, but its accurate features and mannerisms bring it pretty close to the real thing, and the negative implications of this product regarding the objectification of women can limit the progress of women in present-day Japan.

Technological savvy may drive the Japanese economy to the top, but are the material benefits from these fembots justifiable when women’s rights are in jeopardy? Whether you’re a feminist or otherwise, the Actroid Der2 is one item you shouldn’t have on your wish list this Christmas.