Toronto: a cosmopolitan North American city, with a twist. Skyscrapers, yes. Starbucks on every street, yes. Bubbly, friendly people, yes. Outstanding art galleries-no. Buzzing, non-stop partying-sort of.

This has been my impression of your university city over the last two months. As an international exchange student from London, I have been overwhelmed by some of Toronto’s attractions. The omnipresent CN Tower, with its beautiful needle-topped design, is an exciting, touristy pleasure. The Air Canada Centre, packed with Molson-drinkers and children with blue and white paint smeared across their faces, is a delight. Not to mention your number-one coffee shop, Tim Horton’s, which is so reasonable in comparison to London prices that it suits a student like me to a T.

As I shared the excitement of Toronto with my family and friends back home, I thought about what made it unique. The laid-back atmosphere stands out as something London lacks. People here chat on the subway, and there seem to be so few people walking around the streets. Where are all the drunkards, not to mention the litter? These cultural differences help make Toronto a great environment to live and study in. But replace soccer with hockey, fish and chips with hot dogs, tomarto with tomaytoe, Hennes with…oh yes, you have that now too, and you soon realize that the two places are not too dissimilar.

Last term, I took a quick and easy one-hour flight over the border to the most dynamic and eccentric American city-the Big Apple. There are events going on 24/7 in New York, and the buzz hits you as soon as you hear the sound of taxi horns hooting in Times Square.

Manhattan offers a wide range of things to do, from galleries such as MOMA and the Guggenheim to outstanding musical productions such as Jersey Boys. The number of high-end restaurants makes picking where to dine overwhelming, and the Empire State Building provides a view like no other. The scene is constantly changing in up-and-coming areas like the East Village, and bars quickly rise and fall. Partying in the meatpacking district is wild and wacky. The fashionable attire and the eclectic mix of people make it an interesting and entertaining night out.

I found the shopping in New York slightly disappointing, however. The designers are the same as in Toronto and London, and prices are typically high. For me, it’s Central Park that sets New York above all other cities. This open, expansive area of greenery is perfect for long walks and offers brunch spots that just shouldn’t be missed.

When a top New York architect was hired to re-design the ROM, commentators claimed that Toronto was trying to be like the Big Apple. With more and more condos being developed and the harbourfront in constant flux, I don’t think that Toronto can really compete. Moreover, my impression of the art scene here is that most of the main galleries are under construction.

Rather than trying to be like another city, Toronto should enjoy the features that make it original. Kensington Market, Queen Street West, the ethnic variety on College Street, and the Drake Hotel have made my exploration of this Canadian city so exciting. There is still so much to discover and experience, and I hope to find many more hidden treasures this term.