The hip hop community suffered a tragic loss this past week with the suicide of David Shayman, an up-and-coming producer who worked under the moniker of Disco D.

Details of his death were not released, but he had been diagnosed as bipolar and was suffering from depression. Some cited his recent split from his Brazilian fiancé, as well as rumours of financial trouble-he was not paid for some recent work-as possible causes.

Only recently had Disco D won the attention of the mainstream, with his work on the 50 Cent track “Ski Mask Way” on the rapper’s 2005 album the Massacre. His other notable work includes producer credits on Trick Daddy’s “I Pop,” and several tracks he did with Kevin Federline for the latter’s debut album, Playing With Fire (another possible cause).

Having grown up in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Disco D began his career in the ghettotech genre, a combination of hip hop and electronic music. He was heavily involved in developing the genre in the Detroit scene, possibly even coining the name ghettotech.

Disco D was known for his wide range of influences-including The Beatles, Donna Summer, Primus and GWAR. Lately he had split his time between New York City and Brazil. His interest in Brazilian music led him to found the label Gringo Luoco, home to celebrated Brazilian rappers Braza, whose single “A Copa É Nossa” Disco D produced.

Disco D’s death adds him to a-sadly-growing group known to some as the 27 Club, made up of musicians who died at that age. The group is part of the legacy of such artists as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and the Rolling Stones’ Brian Jones. The legend of the 27 Club got more attention in 1994 with the suicide of Kurt Cobain. Music fans have turned up other lesser-known rock stars, such as Chris Bell of Big Star and Dennes Boon of the Minutemen, to include in the group.

Fans are waiting to hear if work by the producer, including collaborations with Chamillionaire, Lil’ Scrappy and Crime Mob, will be released posthumously.

Funeral services for Disco D were held in Ann Arbor last Friday.