U of T fencers claim 20 spots in OUA championship

Hosting the Ontario University Athletic’s Fencing qualifier this weekend, U of T was able to send five of their six fencing teams and 15 of 24 individual athletes on to the Championship.

The final tournament is to be held at McMaster University on Feb. 17-18.

Catherine Migliore was the only Blue to claim an individual first-place result, which she did in the Women’s Sabre. U of T did, however, have three teams take the top spot in their events: both the Men’s and Women’s foil, and the Women’s Sabre.

Blue fencers Athena Malamas, in the Women’s Epee, and Claire Midley, in the Women’s Foil, finished second, and Stirling MacLeod was also runner-up in the Men’s Foil.

-Christophe Poirier

Men’s Basketball makes it eight wins in a row

Behind the tremendous play of forward Ben Katz, Men’s Basketball (10-6) has tied for third place in the OUA. Next up, the two top teams in the league.

U of T will host Ottawa (14-3) this Friday before matching up with Carleton (15-2) on Saturday in two pivotal divisional clashes. If the Blues continue their streak, they could make a run at a top seed with only three weeks left in the season.

In recent action, U of T was able to go on the road and claim a pair of victories, whooping Royal Military College 84-53 Saturday a night after defeating Queen’s 59-44 on Friday.

Katz scored 33 points and notched 16 rebounds to lead the Blues over the two weekend games.

-C.P.

Blues get bounced around, stay on post-season track

As the tenth-best team in the OUA, Women’s Basketball (9-8) is assured a playoff berth. With 18 points, the Blues are in fourth place in the East division, assuring them a spot in the tournament, since each division must sends six teams. But if their track record is any indication of future performance, it looks to be a short-lived venture. The Blues are 0-9 against teams with a winning record.

Five games remain in the regular season, and two come this weekend, as U of T hosts Ottawa (4-13) on Friday and Carleton (3-14) the following night.

If the Blues cannot succeed in taking a pair victories at the Athletic Centre this weekend, they will be hard pressed to do it when traveling to York (15-2) and Laurentian (11-6) the following one.

In recent action, the Blues cruised to a 92-42 victory over hosts RMC Saturday, a win coming 24 hours after a disparaging 60-55 defeat at the hands of Queen’s in Kingston. Golden Gael forward Jessica Selinger propelled Queen’s to victory as she scored 22 points and was 14 of 15 from the line.

-C.P.

Track star Megan Brown receives OUA player of the week award

Megan Brown broke two Varsity records last Tuesday at the U of T Track Classic, paving the way for her OUA female athlete of the week award.

At 4:20.06, she notched the 1500-metre record, and, at 9:25.89, she was able to break the 3000-metre record as well. Brown’s personal best times were both top times clocked for the two events this season in Canada, and were among the best in North America.

Brown claimed the top OUA and CIS individual records this year, and was name U of T’s female athlete of 2006.

-C.P.