With the first leg of the Champions League knockout phase to start later this month, the magnifying glass has focused on the top European teams as they pursue their league’s tournament cups. This has allowed a few familiar faces to bask in the limelight.

1. Manchester United (20-3-3 vs. Domestic League / In fifth round of FA Cup)
    While most of the other leagues were busy hibernating, United put up a string of splendid performances that have enthralled their supporters. It’s not just the wins, but the manner in which they have come, that has Manchester atop 2007’s first ranking. The Red Devils have 15 different goal-scorers so far this season, and have yet to be shutout. Sunday’s four-nil victory over Tottenham featured four different scorers and once again highlighted what great team spirit this squad enjoys.

2. Internazionale Milano (18-3-0 / Face Roma in Coppa Italia final)
    “The same players, the same clubs, but this year somehow you just feel it’s a cleaner game.” This was how an announcer built up the Clacio Serie A on ESPN Asia, and it is time to put the spotlight back on one Italian Club for the right reasons. 14 straight wins by Inter is truly a remarkable performance.

3. Barcelona (12-7-2 / Lost first leg 0-1 of Copa Del Rey quarterfinal)
    They have done remarkably well to stay on top of the league in Eto’o’s and Messi’s absence, thanks in large part to the scoring presence of Saviola and Gudjohnsen. But Eto’o is back, and Ronaldinho should be fit in two weeks, just in time to be at full strength to face Liverpool at Camp Nou when the Champions League Match day seven kicks off.

4. Werder Bremen (13-3-4 / Out of DFB-Pokal/German Cup)
    Bremen continues to play free-flowing football, despite being three points behind league leaders Schalke 04. Miroslav Klose continues to score at will, as questions arise as to whether a bigger club awaits him at the end of this season.

5. Arsenal
    (13-7-5 / Face Chelsea in Carling Cup final; drew fourth round fixture against Bolton)
    Humiliating Liverpool in both cup fixtures and then securing the double over United has given the Gunners both ammunition and bragging rights over their rival supporters. More importantly, a 2-1 victory over Manchester United prevented the league title race from being over. Henry seems back to his best and is starting to rack up the goals.

6. Schalke 04 (14-3-3 / Out of DFB-Pokal/German Cup)
    Schalke not only left Bremen with a 2-0 win, but they came out unscathed and injury-free. Managing a clean sheet has extended their unbeaten streak to nine games, giving Schalke three points over Werder Bremen, and an ever-so-slight advantage in goal difference. It might be just enough in this fiercely contested league.

7. Sevilla (13-3-5 / Drew 0-0 first leg of Copa Del Rey quarter-final)
    They might not have the stars, but Sevilla have been quietly going about their business and stand just one point behind leaders Barcelona. While leading marksman Frederic Kanoute missed Sunday’s fixture due an injury, he still leads Europe’s Golden Boot standings with 16 goals. If Sevilla is to be favoured the rest of the way, they will need Kanoute’s lovely shot in the next round of UEFA cup.

8. AS Roma (14-4-3 / Face Inter in Coppa Italia final)
    In these dark hours for futbol in Italy, Roma has managed to be the only bright spot. Amid the chaos and the calls for a crackdown on crowd violence following the death of a policeman in the Sicilian derby, Roma’s style of play shows why Italian fans still care about the Calcio. They have made huge strides towards removing the defensive mentality the league had embraced over the past decade.

9. Chelsea (17-6-3 / Face Arsenal in Carling Cup final, in fifth round of FA Cup)
    Chelsea is coming off a terrible holiday, drawing games they should have won while picking up injuries to almost all of their defenders. Last season, Chelsea’s success was largely due to the depth of their squad. Losing that that depth this year might prove to be their downfall.

10. Liverpool FC (15-5-6 / Eliminated from FA and Carling Cup)
    Liverpool has started to play well, as a 2-0 victory over Chelsea can attest. Hopefully this club’s new owners will teach them how to branch out and do business on various fronts simultaneously.