Blues trump York again, to host playoff game

Men’s Basketball (13-7) has two more games before they head into the postseason. If the Blues can muster wins against Ryerson (6-14) in their home-and-home series Wednesday and Friday against the Rams, they will host a playoff game Feb. 21 as the third seed in the Ontario University East division. If not, the Blues will host the game as the fourth seed.

Thanks to their 82-70 victory over York (13-7) Friday, U of T was able to snatch third place from the Lions despite having identical records. Barring a loss to Ryerson, the Blues have a head-to-head record of 2-0 over York.

U of T claimed Friday’s win thanks in large part to the balanced play of their starters, all of whom posted double-digits scoring marks. Blues forward Ben Katz led all players with 26 points.

The following night, U of T defeated Laurentian 68-60. The Voyageurs (6-14) were unable to contain forward Mike Williams, who scored 20, or Katz, who spotted 17 and led all players with seven rebounds.

-Christophe Poirier

U of T opens postseason Friday, hosts Ottawa

Women’s Basketball (11-10) hosts Ryerson (2-19) Wednesday to close the regular season before they host Ottawa (9-13) in the first round of the playoffs Friday.

The fourth-seeded Blues are 1-1 this season against fifth-seeded Ottawa, with U of T posting a 72-39 victory in Ottawa Jan. 6 before the Gee-Gees returned the favour by defeating the Blues 61-52 here Feb 2.

Over the weekend U of T split their two games, notching a 72-69 victory over Laurentian (14-7) to end the Voyageurs’ nine-game win streak Saturday. The night before, the Blues lost to Canadian Interuniversity Sport’s fifth-ranked York (19-2). While fielding four players with 13 points or more, U of T was unable to stop Lions forward Emily Van Hoof. The York star had 20 points and 10 rebounds as the Lions defeated U of T 80-76.

-C. P.