It looks like a squished orange. It also goes to oceanic depths humans have never dared to reach. The Deep Phreatic Thermal Explorer is the world’s latest underwater robot, and it’s exciting scientists and Jules Verne fans alike. In tests in early February, the robot explored a 115-metre deep cenote-a limestone sinkhole filled with acidic groundwater that forms near volcanic regions-called La Pilita, a milestone for an un-tethered underwater vehicle under no human control. The robot can follow detailed maps using velocity, depth, and acceleration sensors, but it also sends out sonar pulses to map and navigate unknown, deep waters. Scientists hope to use the robot to explore the El Zacatón cenote, which human divers have determined is more than 282 metres deep. The robot will produce high-resolution maps of the area. In the tests at La Pilita, the robot discovered and mapped a tunnel on the western wall of the cenote. At the floor of the sinkhole, the robot was able to approach a wall, extend a mechanical arm, and take a core sample. The robot will be put through a complete rehearsal of the Zacatón mission later this month, in anticipation of a launch in May. If it goes well, expect the Deep Phreatic to make a cosmic leap: the experiments are funded by NASA in hopes that the robot’s technology may be used to explore the oceans on Jupiter’s moon Europa.

Source: Carnegie Mellon news service

-Sandy Huen