Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank (Epic)

Modest Mouse frontman Isaac Brock must have been on a karma payment plan. After enduring a series of ramshackle living arrangements, serious drug addictions, a brief stint in a New York jail, a phony rape accusation and 10 years of marginal success with his band’s quirky indie-rock tunes, Brock is finally basking in some hard-won returns. His band’s 2004 breakthrough album Good News For People Who Love Bad News vaulted Modest Mouse into the modern rock stratosphere, and forced commercial radio to play their fucked-up songs, basically because they were too damn good to ignore.

With their sixth proper studio album-not counting EPs, B-sides compilations, side projects and an entire “shelved” (but still pretty great) album-Brock and company have written another strong collection of songs, including highlights “Florida,” “Parting of the Sensory,” “Invisible,” and the single “Dashboard.” Old fans will probably notice that several of these songs sound a lot happier than pretty much everything the band’s done before (millions of dollars and long-deserved mass respect that Good News brought them undoubtedly had some impact). Of course, a “happy” song for Modest Mouse still features lyrics like “I laugh all the way to hell / saying yes this is a fine promotion” (a couple line from standout track “Missed The Boat”).

The only slightly worrying thing about this album is that this latest addition to the the awesomely eclectic MM canon is probably the closest Modest Mouse have ever come to repeating themselves stylistically. That being said, ex-Smiths guitarist, and newest band member, Johnny Marr’s signature sparkling parts, and insanely catchy backing vocals of James Mercer (of Shins fame) are both very welcome additions to the overall sound. And while the overall nautical-carnival feel of the songs definitely gives the album an identity of its own, the glossy production and pop sensibilities still bring their last album to mind. For a band that has so drastically altered their style for each album, this is worth noting.

Still, Modest Mouse remains the best and most interesting rock band on commercial radio today. They deserve your money, and they deserve your attention.­ -LUKE HIGGINSON

Rating: VVVVv / VVVVV

Air – Pocket Symphony (Astralwerks)

With their first release since 2003’s Talkie Walkie, French electro-synth duo Air is back with a glorious inversion of their last effort. Nicolas Godin and JB Dunckel reference and rework their earlier, poppier, style into something closer to their score for Sofia Coppola’s 2001 film The Virgin Suicides. With the expected beautifully textured production, Pocket Symphony starts off quietly with the gently layered “Space Maker,” before easing into the first single off the disc, “Once Upon a Time.”

Besides Dunckel’s trademark piano and synth combo, Pocket Symphony is peppered with diverse instruments and sound styles. Playing glockenspiel, koto and shamisen in several tracks, the pair display their theatrical fancy, often buried under the perfection and polish of their more synth-based tunes. Other highlights include the lilting “Photograph,” and The Divine Comedy’s Neil Hannon-sung track “Somewhere Between Waking and Sleeping.” Possibly the only track out of place on Pocket Symphony is “One Hell of a Party,” written and sung by ex-Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker. Despite its Eastern flavour, the song still feels too pedestrian to truly soar in the taut atmosphere constructed by Godin and Dunckel. The great thing about the band is that they have no desire to keep punching out the same (granted, beautiful) tracks that brought them to their current eminence. Air is consistently changing its sound, without totally abandoning their Moon Safari roots. Hopefully there won’t be another 3½-year wait for their next release. In the meantime, there’s also 5:55, Charlotte Gainsbourg’s newest record, written by Dunckel and Godin and featuring Hannon and Cocker.

-NAOMI SKWARNA

Rating: VVVVv