Touted as a way to improve student engagement with U of T, a proposed student centre at the St. George campus may well fall victim to apathy. The Student Commons, proposed by SAC (soon to UTSU) would probably be built on “site 12” on Devonshire Place, across from Varsity Stadium. Its fate, however, remains clouded by uncertainty after a town hall SAC held last Thursday to hear opinions on their proposal.

Though the Student Commons has the support of SAC and the university administration, its future hinges on student approval for a levy to finance its construction and maintenance. A referendum on that question is expected in the fall.

Though planning for the Student Commons is already underway, it’s still unclear whether or not students believe the centre is necessary. In a discussion paper circulated last week, SAC chairperson Jen Hassum said that it could boost U of T’s low student involvement.

“[The Student Commons is necessary because] there are a lot of people who are being left out,” said Hassum. She noted that in the latest National Survey of Student Engagement, which measures the quality of student experience in various universities, half of U of T students reported spend virtually no time on campus outside of classes.

“It is clear that something needs to be done at our university to improve the student experience,” Hassum continued in the discussion paper. “[The Student Commons] will help [U of T] regain its stature among its peer institutions.”

What SAC envisions is a multi-use facility in which space for clubs mixes with unstructured student space, hopefully drawing otherwise disengaged students into the fold of campus activities. SAC’s vision of the student centre includes a large atrium for student exhibitions, a food court with inexpensive and nutritious offerings, and lounge space similar to what currently exists at Sidney Smith. In addition, the centre would offer prayer space, meeting space, and a large multi-purpose “ballroom” for conferences and social events.

“The most successful use of student space integrates a lot of things together,” Hassum argued.

The centre could also contain office space for SAC, campus newspapers, the LGBT drop-in centre, CIUT radio station and other campus clubs.

The most significant issue faced by the student centre proposal is the cost, expected to run into the tens of millions, but the current proposal offers no price tag.

“I can’t come up with a price…until [the planning committee] can find out what students want in it,” Hassum explained.

A multi-year fee levy on students is expected, with the university matching 50 cents on every dollar students pay. The suggested amounts range from $40-$60, similar to what students pay for their student centres at UTSC ($63) and UTM ($52). A survey submitted last fall to Governing Council by the Committee to Review Student Space on the St. George Campus found that students are likely to offer lukewarm support for the increase.

Critics have panned the proposal over the expected cost of the building and the redundancy of a student centre on the periphery of a sprawling campus with many other centres of activity.

Especially pitched at the town hall meeting were accusations of hypocrisy on SAC’s part, for seeking a steep levy to finance the centre, while simultaneously campaigning to save students’ money by lowering tuition fees.

“I just wonder if putting a lot of time and money [into a single student centre] might defeat what U of T is about,” complained Alexander Collis, a student at the meeting.

Collis and other students at the discussion meeting argued in favour of a decentralized, multi-nodal approach to student activity.

Hassum made it clear that the Student Commons, at a fraction of the size of Hart House, will not compete with existing centres of student activity. She was optimistic about the centre’s prospects.

“You can’t win over everybody-you just can’t.” she said, adding “If we get the money, it will be built.”