University College’s commuter students have a room of their own today, with the opening of the Leith Centre, a space dedicated to the needs of off-campus students. The centre, which includes lockers and a kitchen, with lots of space to study and hang out, has been in the works since 2004. Nona Robinson, UC’s Dean of Students, has been involved in the project since the beginning.

“I think all of us know that offcampus students don’t get the students, so this is something we’ve been thinking about for a long time,” she said.

The centre finally came together this year thanks to money from the university’s $20 million Student Experience Fund, with some funding by the college. Though it is shiny and new, the room itself isn’t one of a kind—Vic and New College both boast spaces and social programs for commuters. Still, the centre comes with a campus first: UC’s Commuter Don program, which will be housed there.

Deena Dadachanji, one of the two dons who will serve UC’s 3500-strong commuter population this year, discussed the new position.

“I wanted to be a don, but I didn’t really like living in residence. I really prefer living off campus, so I’m passionate about commuter issues,” she said.

The dons will be available to give advice to commuter students on academic or social issues, and they will also organize programming for the centre along with the UC Lit’s University College Off-Campus Commission and UC’s coordinator of student life, Renu Kanga. Ideas for the coming year range from a Thanksgiving social, to Bike Week activities, to career workshops.

With four times as many students living off-campus as in residence, University College is typical of U of T. A recent National Survey of Student Experience report highlighted the problems this majority faces in almost every area—commuter students are less likely to work with faculty outside the classroom, less likely to participate in co-curricular activities and more likely to “experience a sense of alienation” in first year. UC aims to close that gap, though the Leith Centre is open to everyone.

“We have no problem with non-UC students using it,” said Robinson. “There will be a lot of UC-specific events, but nobody is going to be asking for ID at the door or anything.”

Drop by and check out the Leith Centre (79 St. George Street, on the main floor of the Helen Gardiner Phelan Playhouse) at an open house all day today.