Athlete – Beyond The Neighbourhood (Astralwerks)

I have to admit, I was never a huge fan of Athlete, but at times their latest album is hard to resist. I’d say “I could care less,” but ten minutes later I’d be secretly listening to them on my mp3 player. The two aspects that really distinguish Beyond The Neighbourhood from its predecessor, 2005’s Tourist, are its more guitar-heavy songs, and some experimentation with electronic sounds. The first track, “In Between 2 States,” is an atmospheric instrumental which opens the album well. Another standout track is “Airport Disco,” which starts out with a hazy electronic vibe that leads to vocalist Joel Potts’ seductive voice pleading “Oh I want to take you home with me tonight.” Although critics have mixed feelings for Athlete’s latest release, fans have dubbed them the next Coldplay. So while you may not be on the Athlete bandwagon yet, just pop this baby in and you might be pleasantly surprised.—DL

Rating: VVVv

Junior Senior – Hey Hey My My Yo Yo (Rykodisc) Danish duo Junior Senior rock the house with their sophomore album, Hey Hey My My Yo Yo. I personally feel that this album was made for two types of people: naturally-gifted dancers and people that have immense difficulty moving to the beat. This is mainly because Junior Senior have created an album that would incite the dance need in almost anyone. “Can I Get Get Get” is probably the catchiest and most addictive song on the entire album. I am also 58.9 per cent sure that this album contains the cure for a disease that has not been discovered yet. For exactly these reasons I am shifting the album to a safety deposit box at TD. Yes, it is that good.—NL

Rating VVVV

The Kiss and Tells – Love School (Banbury Park Records)

With names like Kait “Ms. Do-It,” Charlie “Charnobyl,” Jenny “G-spot,” Johnny “Chartreuse,” and Mathias “Genghis” Kom, it is safe to say that this Peterborough, Ontario quintet doesn’t take itself too seriously. Their sense of humor is present throughout the album, from the quirky tracks to the record’s comical cover. Unfortunately, the band’s clever quips are the focal point of the album, leaving little to say in defence of the group’s musical ability. Aside from a few catchy tunes, including the opening track, “Love School,” their 50s-inspired sound cannot help but remind the listener of the sockhopping days when bands played high school proms. Songs like “Spontaneous Combustion” deliver only uncomfortable melodies, leaving the listener awkwardly unsure as to whether the switch to a minor key was intentional or not.—CK

Rating: VVv

Dana Wylie Band – Almost There… (Tiny White Girl)

With a musical resume that stretches across the Atlantic, it is no surprise that Dana Wylie’s sound is as diverse as her travel destinations. Having played in Taiwan and Scotland, Wylie has developed a sound that can be described as a little bit of everything. From the jazzy track “Karmically Due” to the hardcore bluegrass of “I Know You Know,” Wylie incorporates a wide range of styles and genres into her repertoire. Despite her travels, the quirky singer/songwriter currently calls Saskatchewan home, and gathers inspiration for her music from her rural western atmosphere. “Even in Saskatchewan” illustrates this influence, as does “Winter in April,” possibly about her time spent in Winnipeg. Her clear, powerful vocals coupled with her cheeky, light-hearted lyrics shine in bluesy “Money Song” and soft ballad, “Hurricane Boy.” In fact, Wylie’s lyrical style can be described as witty and even borderline irreverent. She jokes that she has no time for anything, including “all that yoga shit” in “Gettin’ Ahead (The I Don’t Have Time Song).” Overall, the album possesses an unmistakable indie charm that even East-coasters like me can’t resist.—CK

Rating: VVV

K.T. Tunstall – Drastic Fantastic (Relentless, EMI)

Scottish-born singer/songwriter K.T. Tunstall has created yet another album that confidently restores my faith in popular music. Since last year’s success of her debut album, Eye to the Telescope, it’s clear that the talented 32-year-old has been honing her craft, and has strengthened her creative prowess, on Drastic Fantastic. This time around, the eclectic songstress has developed her pop-folk sound with a unique lineup of tracks ranging from upbeat electric blues hits to intimate, acoustic ballads. Her most notable tunes include the catchy “Saving My Face” and the simple, soft rock beat of “Hopeless.” Remnants of punk can be heard in songs like “I Don’t Want You Now,” while “White Bird” boasts Spanish guitar. However, despite the fresh bold leaps taken in this new album, the Grammy-nominated artist also manages to stay true to her roots, especially in the last two tracks, “Someday Soon” and “Paper Aeroplane.”—CK

Rating: VVVV

Brigitte – S/T (Independent)

Like the Pixies? Like Modest Mouse? Not a dumbshit frat boy? You will love Brigitte. This local indie quartet balance their quirky weirdness with pretty melodies and driving energy—and achieve astonishingly good results. Every song on this half-hour, 15-track disc is like a beautifully unpredictable indie-rock sugar rush. “Count 200” features ethereal choir vocals with a thumping disco bass line, while “Farmer Youth” flexes some sweet, rock out guitar work. “Guns in the Desert” is another example of what Brigitte is all about: killer hooks, funny (but not stupid) lyrics, and short, to-the-point structure. “Square Dance” builds naturally from a simple Casio riff into a massive rock-out—with amazing guitar licks and thick-as-fuck drums—all inside two-and-a-half minutes. Despite its ridiculous title, I’ve got to mention closer “Nuclear Nuts.” In a way, this songs exemplifies the Brigitte spirit: it’s got one of the prettiest and catchy guitar parts I’ve heard all year, which plays under anti-reproduction rap lyrics, “Smoke that crack, I’ll drop a beat, Those crazy motherfuckers make me shit in my sleep, Sterility’s the only game I seek, I use Tupperware in the microwave to cook my beans”—and it only gets better from there. Best to listen while slightly drunk and hopped up on something, Brigitte are easily one of the best bands in Toronto right now.—JB

Rating: VVVV

Jamie T – Panic Prevention (Virgin)

Jamie T’s debut, Panic Prevention is a refreshing addition to the rapidly growing British hip-hop scene. Panic Prevention starts out with a light, catchy, and hilarious tune called “Brand New Bass Guitar,” which has a feeling of Willie Nelson meets Sublime. As we move through the track list, the songs become heavier with “Calm Down Dearest” and “So Lonely Was the Ballad”. Both these tracks showcase Jamie’s potential for serious vocal ability. Skip ahead a couple of tracks and you’ll reach the standout of the album, an operatic and slightly haunting track called “Sheila,” complete with bloodcurdling screams and drunken bar fights. Lyrically speaking, Jamie T has the makings of a great poet: a past riddled with sickness and anxiety, and an affinity for writing about alcohol not seen since Hemingway. Regardless of Jamie T’s talent and skill, Panic Prevention does have its weak points. His singing voice needs range, and consequently, listening to his songs back-to-back becomes quite tiresome. Also, the quality of production on this album could be better—most of the songs sound unfinished. Despite these flaws, Panic Prevention still manages to achieve a body of work that is both profound and undeniably cool.—BA

Rating: VVVV