We are one step closer to creating the Bionic Man

This super cool piece of technology is straight out of science fiction: a contact lens with embedded lights that could eventually allow for visual displays to be projected on the wearer’s eye. Still in its infancy, the technology is designed so that the electronic components do not obstruct vision and are safe for use on humans. As soon as they get a prototype that can project hockey games onto my eyes, I am going to buy one.

tinyurl.com/2qhdn2

Monkeys control robot…with the power of their minds (I am not making this up)

There is no end to the crazy things scientists will do in the name of science, but this one definitely tops the list. (Mad) scientists at Duke University implanted electrodes in the brains of two Rhesus monkeys and sent the signals to a robot in Japan whose locomotion was controlled by this information. The purpose of the study—besides giving the team a great story to tell at the bar—was to observe the relationship between movement and brain activity in the motor and sensory cortexes of the brain. Interestingly, the monkeys were able to make the robot continue walking by simply thinking about it after they had stopped moving. Conceivably, this technology is a first step towards mentally controlled robotic braces, and other movement devices for paralyzed people. Fortunately, the researchers had the foresight to not allow the monkeys to control a tank or jet fighter.

tinyurl.com/2ezeq9

An explanation for flirty people

This eye-opening analysis of the practice of flirting in Time Magazine explains why we engage in this sometimes counter-intuitive behaviour. It turns out it’s a hard-wired way to ensure that our genes are passed on to the next generation. Most interesting is the explanation for why married people flirt. As informational as the piece is, it still can’t explain why Scott Baio was single for so long.

tinyurl.com/2fxq7y

Everything really is bigger in Texas (file this one under “unsurprising”)

Guess which part of America emits the most carbon dioxide emissions? That’s right, the Lone Star state. If it were ranked as a country, it would be the seventh worst pollutant in the world. This is more than the number two and three states (California and Pennsylvania) combined. With 19 coal-burning power plants and an unnatural fondness for large vehicles, the state’s new status isn’t a shocker. Now if only we could find a way to turn carbon dioxide directly into beef.

tinyurl.com/23ql4r

Vindication comes for squirrel hatred

It turns out squirrels are paranoid. Bored with doing actual scientific work, Dr. Michael Steele of Pennslyvania’s Wilkes University decided to study the behaviour of grey squirrels. While it is known that squirrels hoard food, they were observed digging fake holes with no actual food stored in them. Since other squirrels will thieve food from their storage spaces, this is a clever tactic to avoid getting their dinner stolen. As well, the squirrels were observed to dig more fake holes when they knew they were being watched. These squirrels were also observed building a doomsday device, conclusively proving that they are evil and cannot be trusted.

tinyurl.com/yvs4kv

Honey, I cloned myself

Because everyone loves a good ethical quandary, Dr. Samuel Wood decided to clone himself. Don’t panic, there isn’t an army of mini-Samuels running about as the embryos only survived for five days. The same process that was used to clone Dolly the sheep was used in this experiment. I can hear anti-cloning activists around the world furiously scrawling clever slogans on Bristol boards. Naturally, the Vatican condemned the practice.

tinyurl.com/2tsac2

Hate rats? Me too

A rodent that tips the scales at one tonne has been discovered in South America—but don’t worry, you won’t find it on the subway. This massive prehistoric rat (called Josephoartigasia monesi) dwarfs the largest rodent currently alive, the 50-kilogram capybara, also from South America. It is thought that competition from predators after the two Americas joined, as well as introduced diseases and a change in climate, doomed the overgrown rodent to extinction. Perhaps it is for the best that they no longer exist—I would hate to discover one of these suckers in my kitchen. Plus, the rat traps would be insanely large.

tinyurl.com/37ucxf

Sometimes the best ideas are considered ridiculous at first

It became clear that humanity has a special skill for finding weird solutions to everyday problems after the invention of suspenders. To continue this proud tradition, ecoble. com presents five oddball solutions to the current climate change crisis. I think my favourite is wrapping glaciers with sheets to avoid them from melting. It’s like some kind of crazy Christmas came really early, and everyone is getting ice and a reasonable temperature for the planet.

tinyurl.com/2x2gwv

The south pole migrates (seriously, this thing has legs)

Every year, researchers place a new south pole marker, as the ice sheet moves anywhere from seven to 10 metres a year. A unique place marker is put down (you can see the past four on the website). This also includes a gratuitous group shot of the brave (if somewhat foolhardy) scientists and workers that inhabit the Amundsen- Scott South Pole Station.

tinyurl.com/2ntyhb