Quest University Canada, the country’s newest private university, has not yet reached a quarter of its capacity. Designed for 800 students, the school’s current population is 142, of which 40 per cent are international students. Quest was modeled after elite U.S schools, with tuition at $24,500 a year and teaching methods nearly unrecognizable to U of T students. Private donors have given Quest $100 million, which suggests high expectations, but this has not led to higher enrolment.

Quest students are taught in small classes using a technique called block programming, which allows more direct contact between teachers and students. The average Quest student attends four “blocks,”which focus on one course and last three and a half weeks, in each academic term. A year is made up of two terms, which run in fall, spring and summer. Students can choose the terms they want to attend and accelerate their studies by adding an additional third term.

In the meantime, travel grants are offered to students who want to tour the university. There are blogs and videos available online that highlight different aspects of the school and the option to chat live with an admissions counselor on the Quest website. The university is encouraging its students join in recruiting efforts by going back to their old high schools and bringing back at least one student for the following school year.

Melanie Koenderman, director of student affairs, said in an interview that students are accepted into Quest using a “holistic” approach rather than a high school GPA. Quest applicants must submit a personal essay and complete a personal interview. Extra-curricular activities are also taken into consideration.

Koenderman said extra-curriculars are taken into consideration so that students who may not have excelled academically, but have volunteer experience, are also given a chance.

For those who meeet certain GPA requirements, full scholarships are offered.

Quest’s aim, Koenderman said, is to “produce graduates that can think, communicate, solve problems, work in collaborative environments and make a difference wherever they go.” They just have to fill the seats first.