Feeling the recession

U of T’s $5 billion in assets are hit by the recession, threatening endowment payouts. Admin claims that student funds will be the last to be affected, but the fate of your bursaries and scholarships are looking dire.

UTSU elections

As usual, Spring will bring the prospect of new student union execs. Cross your fingers for an actual competitive election, centered on real issues and genuine debate.

The ‘Apartheid’ issue

Israeli Apartheid Week, better known as “Hate Week” will return next month, stirring up bitter debates, finger-pointing, and possible fist-fights. Last year the president commented that it was his least favourite time of the year. For better or worse, the most sensitive and heated debate will come to the forefront.

Abortion debates

Anti-abortion groups demonstrate on-campus every spring, comparing abortion to genocide and prompting counterprotests and debates over free speech. Last year, pro-life and pro-choice camps faced off at St. George and Harbord, after U of T Students for Life refused the university’s requests to keep their posters of aborted fetuses in a closed-off area. Last year, University of Calgary threatened legal action after a student group refused to display posters for students forced to view them.

Harper to stay?

With Ignatieff leading the Liberals, Harper will have something to cry about. While Iggy’s not fond of a coalition, he won’t be afraid to use it if Harper’s budget doesn’t look like it could tackle the severe economic crisis.