Striking TAs are back in York University president Mamdouh Shoukhri’s office since 6:00 p.m. last night, after a 96-hour sit-in marking the end of the wasted fall semester. An e-mail message circulated to members warns that the Liberals are preparing a legislation to force York TAs back to work.

Sleeping bags and textbooks littered the floor outside President Shoukri’s office all week starting Dec. 15, but the president himself was missing. During the sit-in YU security ejected a City TV journalist from the building.

YU spokesperson Alex Bilyk confirmed the President would not be going to his office. “In today’s day and age business can be conducted from anywhere,” he said.

Early afternoon Monday, over 120 people including members of TA union CUPE 3903, and undergrad students held a rally to escalate pressure on university administrators to reach a deal.

“We are here because the university has refused to bargain in good faith with the union for six weeks and our members want to take this week to show our resolve to win the strike,” said Dhruv Jain, a CUPE 3903 member.

The protestors demanded that Shoukri answer a list of 12 questions and commit to holding a public forum in the first week of January to discuss the strike and the issue of accessible education. In December, York Federation of Students organized a community forum. No representatives from the President’s Office showed up. YFS has been criticized for supporting the strike while undergrads are being kept out of class.

“The YFS called this forum and I believe it was a last minute type of thing. Quite frankly, it was felt that this was their meeting with their students. They did not need the administration there,” said Bilyk.

“We are here demanding York University hold a public forum to talk to us directly and not through the media,” said Victoria Barnett, undergrad and sit-in organizer.

The York University administration says that they are available to address concerns. The President made himself available after two Senate meetings to answer questions.