Nothing pierces the veneer of the powerful like a cranberry crumble

As you might have guessed, Wikipedia defines “pieing” as the simple act of throwing a pie at someone. But there’s meaning behind the dollop of strawberry rhubarb staining the corporate bad guy’s sleeve, or the apple cobbler soaring onto an elevated podium. Originating from slapstick comedy, pieing is now used for political purposes—a relatively harmless way for the powerless to express political angst.

Lately, the practice has made a comeback. Recent victims have included rebellious English journalist Jeremy Clarkson, right-wing pundit Ann Coulter, one-time presidential candidate Pat Buchanan, and writer David Horowitz. New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman was creamed just before presenting a speech to Brown University.

While pastry-hurling may be undignified, it serves as a statement more than a criminal act. The cranberry crumble is not hurled with the intention of bodily damage, but as a symbol of absurdity—a way of laughing in the face of the powers that be.

Pieing is activism. It urges members of congress to make choices that benefit the majority. It disrupts a speech, exposing the shadowy speaker for what he or she really is. The act of throwing a pie is not a personal attack. It is an attack on hubris, corruption, and greed. The shame it causes to politicians can be constructive: it can motivate authorities to change their behaviour. Indeed, pieing exposes lies, misdeeds, and injustices by harnessing disorder. How delicious.