Perry Darkwa – Candidate for VP internal

The Varsity: Why should students vote for you?

Perry Darkwa: I’m independent. I think that I offer a different perspective. My platform is that we should be focusing on the fundamentals and not hemorrhaging funds for wasteful endeavours.

TV: What are your other priorities?

PD: Parking is a hassle. Overhaul it, give parking reimbursements, or find other ways for students to park at U of T.

I want to renegotiate our health and dental coverage, perhaps expand it. If not, then at least reduce the fees. I also want to look at the Metropass and also lower the cost for that as well.

TV: What experience do you bring to the table?

PD: I don’t have experience in student government, but I think that’s a strength. I talked to a lot of people—one of the major concerns is that a lot of students don’t feel like they’re being heard. I can offer a perspective that starts from the ground up, as opposed to looking downwards from the top.

TV: You’re running as an independent, up against two slates. Do you feel left out?

PD: I definitely feel left out. I’m there to offer a third voice. You have two slates, Access and Change. Most of Access are incumbents. They’re more of the same. I know a lot of Change have been involved with student government and have a lot of experience. I’m removed from the process and I see things very differently.

TV: Anything else you’d like to add?

PD: I’m a third-year economics and math student. I’m from Trinity. Make sure to vote for me.

Brittany Silvestri – Candidate for VP equity

Brittany Silvestri: Equity is my passion. It’s not only about accessibility on campus, but into certain groups. For example, someone can come to me with an equity issue and get access to UTSU, which hasn’t been happening recently.

TV: What are your priorities?

BS: My priorities are specifically working with youth and university students with disabilities, to make sure that they have access to not only clubs but also organizations and classes. I work with autistic children through a program called Reach for the Rainbow—we integrate them into sports programs. We can learn so much from people that are not only cognitively but also physically disabled.

I’m an active member of LGBTOUT and I want to expand the positive space campaign. If you notice the stickers, they’re just on the corner of office doors and right now they don’t mean very much.

I already work on the issues I would undertake as VP equity. In Mississauga, I work with elementary schools to make sure their student groups are run equitably.

I think our current VP Equity has done an amazing job with racialized and anti-discrimination campaigns. I definitely want to take what she’s gained from the Taskforce Against Racism and apply all the policy that’s been created. [Note: The taskforce is having its first U of T meeting today at the Bahen Centre, at 5 p.m.]

BS: Not in the debate forum, but I felt left out when The Varsity ran [coverage on] the two slates and totally left me out. The only reason why I did run independently is because my beliefs don’t coincide with either idea. I’m sitting in the middle.

It’s great to say, “we demand access.” A single group demanding access from the administration is one thing, but I believe that students should demand access from that group, which is predominantly people being re-elected. We haven’t, as a student body, had access to UTSU all year.

The idea of change is a great idea and it works for almost every other position. But we don’t need to change in equity. We need accessibility and inclusiveness, but definitely not change—we’re on the right road already. To take everything that’s been learned and worked for already and throw that aside, that isn’t the right answer either.

TV: Anything else you’d like to add?

BS: Vote for me!