Two universities have struck deals with U of T to exempt their grad students and faculty from U of T’s new library fee. Ryerson and McMaster borrowers will continue to check out materials at no cost, because their schools will pick up the tab.

Since May 2002, Canadian universities have made their library holdings available to grad students and faculty across the country, under the Canadian University Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement.

But U of T announced two weeks ago that starting Oct. 1, outside users would have to pay a borrowing fee of $200 per year. They can also pay $130 for six months or $80 for three months.

Ryerson will pay an estimated $70,000 until Sept. 30, 2010, to cover member costs. The agreement will be re-evaluated annually.

Last year, 361 Ryerson students and faculty used U of T library services, taking out 7,000 items. The borrowing is likely to increase as Ryerson introduces more graduate programs.

McMaster University is also shouldering borrowing costs for its students. Mac librarian Jeff Trzeciak did not respond to an email asking the amount McMaster is paying.

Carole Moore, chief librarian at U of T, has cited budget challenges as the reason for implementing fees. Moore could not be reached for comment for this article.

Negotiations are underway with other schools across Canada, including the University of British Columbia, the University of Alberta, and York University.