U of T students organize week of awareness for deadliest conflict since the Second World War

Almost six million Congolese have died since 1996, due to the conflict there and related causes. Forty-five thousand continue to die each month. Yesterday, a student group at U of T kicked off Break the Silence Congo Week to raise awareness, holding events from Oct. 18 to 24 on the St. George campus.

“We all have some Congolese blood on our cheeks, on our hips, everywhere,” said Bodea Macharia, president of the U of T chapter of Friends of the Congo.

The Democratic Republic of the Congo is situated in central Africa, bordered by nine other countries. After independence from Belgium in 1960, the country has been plagued by conflict between Hutus and Tutsis, an ethnic division created by their occupiers. Conflict also exists between native and immigrant Congolese (referred to under the derogatory term Rwandaphones), and Northern and Southern residents. Warring militias use techniques including child soldiers and rape as a weapon—atrocities that president Joseph Kabila’s government is hard-pressed to stop.

Much of the conflict is fuelled by an abundance of minerals in the region that includes diamonds, colbalt, gold, and silver. Of particular note is the mineral coltan, which is used in the manufacturing of cell phones, laptops, and many other electronics. Congo has 65 per cent of the world’s coltan reserves, which are easily mined compared to other minerals. Despite the wealth of resources, 80 per cent of the population now lives on 30 cents or less a day.

The week is part of a global movement raising awareness of the crisis. The Toronto events, held with the help of students from Ryerson and York, and the surrounding community, feature a series of films and talks, each outlining a different conflict in the region.

BUILDING CONGOLESE CIVIL SOCIETY

Congo has over 250 ethnic groups and is permeated with ethnic tension.

Event: Film Lumumba and talk by Ajamu Nangwaya. Monday, Oct. 19, noon, OISE 4420.

SOCIAL JUSTICE ISSUES IN THE CONGO

Eighty per cent of the Congolese population of 65 million lives on 30 cents or less per day.

Event: Film The Greatest Silence and talk by Alex Henry Moore and Belinda Mbala. Monday, Oct. 19, 6 p.m., BA 1230.

PEACEKEEPERS: UNDERSTANDING THE CONGO CONFLICT

The United Nations has called the conflict the deadliest since the Second World War.

Event: Film Peacekeepers and talk by Justin Podur. Tuesday, Oct. 20, 6 p.m. Arbor Room, Hart House.

BIODIVERSITY IN THE CONGO

Congo is part of the second largest rainforest in the world, behind the Amazon.

Event: Film Biodiversity in the Congo and talk by Dr. Martin Kijazi and Bodia Macharia, 6 p.m., Arbor Room, Hart House.

INTERNATIONAL INDIFFERENCE

Despite the West’s reliance on coltan from the region, the crisis remains underreported.

Event: Talk by Yves Engler and Ajamu Nangwaya. Thursday, Oct. 22, 6 p.m., Arbor Room, Hart House.

HUMAN RIGHTS AND WOMEN

Friends of the Congo reports that hundreds of thousands of women have been raped as a weapon of war.

Event: Talk by Jeannine Ngondo and Maddy Tiembe. Friday, Oct. 23, 6 p.m., BA 1240.

To learn more about the week, visit www.friendsofthecongouoft.wordpress.com or email [email protected].