On Tuesday, October 27, 13-year-old Evan Frustaglio died from the H1N1 virus. In response, Toronto Public Health officials said immunization clinics will open Thursday, four days ahead of schedule.

But what’s really up with swine flu? What are the stats? How does it differ from the seasonal flu? And most importantly, should you be worried?

The fact is that even if an outbreak of H1N1 occurs, death is unlikely—even more unlikely than with the regular seasonal flu. According to the World Health Organization, last season’s outbreak of H1N1 infected some 35,928 people around the world, out of which 163 died. That’s less than a half of a per cent of all those who contracted the disease. The WHO also reports that the seasonal flu kills about 41,400 people out of three to five million cases each year—approximately .08 to one per cent of those who get sick.

Despite such statistics, medical professionals across Canada say it’s time to fear being infected, and have launched a massive advertising campaign on how to avoid contracting the virus, including television advertisements and flyers mailed to every address in Canada. The Ontario Health Ministry has also launched a television campaign announcing, “This year, it’s a different flu season.”

I must admit, it is a new flu season—H1N1 kind of came out of nowhere and surprised many people at the WHO and health agencies around the world. But statistics show it’s no more risky than seasonal flu. It may be a new strain, and may have appeared suddenly, but the facts speak for themselves.

The University of Toronto is planning for an H1N1 emergency. Its website, which provides similar information to what the government had given on proper hygiene, states that hand sanitation stations have been installed on all three campuses. Furthermore, ROSI has a new section that you may have noticed, entitled “Flu Absence Declaration.” The university is hoping that those who contract the flu stay home to keep the virus from spreading.

As a result of these measures, classes are a little extra-empty this semester. I’m sure I’m not the only one getting a flood of emails every week from classmates in search of lecture notes for a missed class due to illness.

There have been instances where students have come down with H1N1, and have actually been hospitalized. In those cases, the university’s response has been appropriate. Professors have been instructed to choose the best course of action to accommodate those affected by flu symptoms so they do not lose marks for their absence.

However, there’s no need to fear contracting H1N1, because even if you do contract it, it’s a rather mild form of the flu according to researchers at McGill University. In fact, unless you go to the doctor to be tested for H1N1, you probably won’t even know you have it. The university doesn’t need to do anything it wouldn’t do in any other year. Students should observe a regular regimen of hand washing and avoiding contact with those who have the flu (any form of the flu), but no extra caution needs to be taken. Basic common sense should keep people safe.

A recent Strategic Counsel poll taken for CTV News showed that 51 per cent of Canadians do not plan on getting vaccinated for H1N1. Furthermore, only 67 per cent perceive the vaccine to be safe for adults, and 59 per cent believe it is safe for children. It seems that Canadians in general are not overly concerned with H1N1.

It is ultimately up to you whether you feel the need to get the vaccination for H1N1. Whatever you decide, make sure it’s a well-informed and safe decision. And, if you do get swine flu, stay home!