Forget about TIFF. The red carpet rolled out in Toronto last week for some of the world’s top minds in biomedical research in honour of the Canada Gairdner Awards’ 50th anniversary.

Celebrations took place in cities across Canada, and culminated in Toronto from Oct. 28 to 30. Over 60 past Gairdner winners—22 of whom went on to become Nobel laureates—gathered at U of T to offer public forums and workshops, not to mention a fair bit of science celebrity-spotting.

The three-day science frenzy was made up of industry and public events, where anyone could rub shoulders with the science A-list. The events covered past, present, and future research, including everything from stem cells to chronic disease and global health. “These events provide a unique forum for debate and dialogue, and often yield new and even more powerful ideas,” said president of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Alain Baudet.

The Gairdner Awards are Canada’s leading international science prize, recognizing the world’s top researchers in medical science. Even Sweden’s Nobel committees seem to be keeping an eye out for the Gairdner stamp of approval, since 76 of the 298 awardees have gone on to win Nobel Prizes. As 1992 Gairdner winner and 2001 Nobel laureate Sir Paul Nurse noted, “Where it leads, others follow.”

“The foundation has created an impressive and loyal laureate community,” said Baudet at Friday’s all-day symposium in Convocation Hall. “The fact that so many [past winners] have travelled here today is a testament to the respect the Gairdner Foundation has earned. And the fact that a sizeable number of Gairdner winners have gone on to become Nobel laureates is a testament to the Gairdner’s success in recognizing great scientific achievement.”

Sheila Robinson, the Gairdner Foundation’s manager of external relations, explained, “Because we have a reputation for recognizing breakthrough science early, it’s often the first major prize that these people have won, so they kind of have a soft spot for the Gairdner.”

The Gairdners also play an important role at the national level by highlighting Canada’s role in cutting-edge biomedical research. According to Baudet, “the Gairdner’s 50th anniversary celebrations have emphasized the important work it does to enrich the culture of science in Canada.”

Who’s who at the Gairdners: Some people you might have bumped into

This year’s winners

Dr. Shinya Yamanaka, Kyoto University

In 2006, Dr. Yamanaka and his team famously generated Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells from adult mouse fibroblasts (connective tissue cells), and later proved that this could be done from adult human fibroblasts as well. His research helped to sidestep the moral debate surrounding whether the therapeutic potential of stem cells could justify the destruction of embryos.

Dr. Kazutoshi Mori, Kyoto University, Dr. Peter Walter, University of California

Research conducted by Dr. Mori and Dr. Walter led to the elucidation of a key pathway that regulates protein folding in the cell. This signalling pathway allows cells to regulate their quantities of endoplasmic reticulum, a key organelle involved in quality control over proteins before they can be transported out of the cell. This signalling is crucial, because imbalances in the process can lead to diseases like cancer, diabetes, and cystic fibrosis.

Dr. Richard Losick, Harvard University, Dr. Lucy Shapiro, Stanford University

Drs. Losick and Shapiro’s research on cell differentiation involved the use of dormant bacteria, called spores. They discovered a crucial class of regulatory proteins that control the expression of many genes during spore formation, as well as the growth of many other kinds of bacteria. They were able to clarify the intricate mechanisms controlling gene expression during this process, leading to a better understanding of bacteria that can both benefit and cause disease in humans. This will inform further efforts to fight infections, and to use microbes as a medicine source.

Dr. David Sackett, McMaster University

Dr. Sackett was recognized with the 2009 Gairdner Wightman Award for his leadership in the disciplines of clinical epidemiology and evidence-based medicine. Both of these fields have influenced applied clinical research and the way medicine is practiced all over the world. The Wightman Award honours Canadians for their leadership in medicine or medical science.

Dr. Nubia Muñoz, National Cancer Institute, Bogota, Colombia

Dr. Muñoz’s epidemiological research helped her define the crucial role of HPV as a cause of cervical cancer on a global level, leading to the development of successful vaccines. She was a member of the scientific committee that oversaw clinical testing of the Gardasil vaccine. Related research done by Dr. zur Hausen garnered the Nobel Prize in 2008.

Past winners, and some notable Nobels

Dr. Oliver Smithies, University of North Carolina, Dr. Mario Capecchi, University of Utah

Gairdner (1993), Nobel (2007)

Known for their work on gene targeting in embryo-derived stem cells in mice, Smithies and Capecchi’s research has opened up possibilities for developing treatments for human genetic diseases. Their work was awarded the Nobel Prize “for their discoveries of principles for introducing specific gene modifications in mice by the use of embryonic stem cells.”

Dr. John Sulston, University of Manchester

Gairdner (1992, 2002), Nobel (2002)

Dr. Sulston’s work with Brenner and Horvitz on animal development from the fertilized egg made use of the nematode worm to make critical discoveries about cell lineages in humans. They identified different lines of stem cell lineage, and discovered how some cells are subject to programmed cell death over the course of development. He was also a leader of the Human Genome Project.

Dr. Elizabeth Blackburn, University of California

Gairdner (1998), Nobel (2009)

Dr. Blackburn’s research focuses on telomeres, the region of repetitive DNA at the end of chromosomes that protects the region from destruction. She discovered the enzyme telomerase, and works with a number of different organisms and human cancer cells. She is currently studying the effects of stress on telomerase.

Dr. Richard Axel, Columbia University

Gairdner (2003), Nobel (2004)

Dr. Axel’s research focuses on how our sense of smell is established during development, and how it changes over time. He also studies how certain smells can provoke particular behaviours or thoughts. He has worked on gene transfer techniques that allow any gene to be introduced into any cell. His work has helped biologists in the large-scale production of drugs, as well as the study of gene function in vivo.

Dr. David Baltimore, California Institute of Technology

Gairdner (1974), Nobel (1975)

One of the heavyweights in biological research, Dr. Baltimore was famous for discovering the enzyme reverse trancriptase, which transcribes RNA into DNA. Reverse transcriptase is essential in the reproduction of retroviruses, which made Baltimore’s discovery even more relevant several years later in light of the identification of HIV as the retrovirus that causes AIDS.

Dr. Barry Marshall, University of Western Australia

Gairdner (1996), Nobel (2005)

Along with Robin Warren, Dr. Marshall overturned the longstanding medical myth that stomach ulcers were caused by stress, spicy foods, and too much acid. He demonstrated that Helicobacter pylori bacteria are in fact the cause of most stomach ulcers.