DJ Skating Parties at Nathan Philips Square

On Dec. 12, Promise DJs will be spinning a set of the latest club-worthy dance hits for skatetastic bumping and grinding. On the 19th, DJ Misty Rock ’n’ Roll will be taking over with an alt-rock skate set. Both nights promise a healthy, wintry dose of good clean fun (whether or not you decide to bring your flask)!—Kelli Korducki

7 p.m. Nathan Philips Square (Bay and Queen). toronto.ca

Extraordinary Canadians Panel

Proving to the world that Canada has more to offer than Degrassi reruns and a funny way of saying “about,” a panel of Canadians extraordinary in their own right—Adrienne Clarkson, Daniel Poliquin, and Mark Kingwell—participate in a roundtable discussion on the subjects about whom they’ve authored biographies: Norman Bethune, René Lévesque and Glenn Gould respectively.—Emily Kellogg

Tues. Dec. 8, 7:30 p.m. $20. Heliconian Club (35 Hazelton Ave.). extraordinarycanadians.com

Confronting Ourselves: An Evening of Artistic Expression

Whether or not discussing the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is your idea of a good time, the issue is at the centre of some hearty dialogue among a progressive core of young people. In Toronto, one of the best places to find this level of discussion is Yalla Journal. Their night of reading, photography, dance, spoken word, music, and writing should guarantee some interesting food for thought.—KK

Thu. Dec. 10, 7:30 p.m. $5 for students. Free Times Café (320 College St.). yallajournal.com

Le Salon du Livre

Longing to catch up on your fave French-language books and perhaps run into an author or two? Featuring a cavalcade of writers from Canada, France, Switzerland, and throughout the Francophone world, the 17th Toronto French Book Fair promises to be l’opportunité parfait for satisfying your Frenchie bookworm desires.—KK

Dec. 10-13. $5 for students. Queen Elizabeth Pavillion, CNE Grounds (180 Princes’ Blvd.). salondulivretoronto.org

401 Richmond Holiday Marketplace

Even if you’re only going to browse, the annual crafts showcase at micro-enterprise funhouse 401 Richmond is a feast for the eyes. Check out rare musical instruments from Musideum, Under the Weather bike gear, and unique felted ornaments from the Handwork Studio.—Shoshana Wasser

Dec. 10-13. Free. 401 Richmond St. W. 401richmond.net

Constantines 10th Anniversary Show

Beloved Canadian staples Constantines meet up with their old pals and longtime touring companions The Weakerthans to celebrate their 10th anniversary at Lee’s Palace. The quintet has packed a lot into the last 10 years, notably earning a Juno nod in 2001. They’ve come a long way from their basement in Guelph, and are sure to excite with their classic style that’s been compared to The Clash.—EK

Dec. 11-12. Doors 9 p.m. $20 advance. Lee’s Palace (529 Bloor St. W.). leespalace.com

Soulful Messiah

Around this time of year, it seems like every musical group (and its brother) is presenting a rendition of Handel’s classical composition. Ballet Creole’s performance manages to stand out from the crowd by giving the music an R&B twist and incorporating contemporary African and Caribbean dance into the show.—SW

Dec. 11-13. $20-25 for students. Fleck Dance Theatre, Harbourfront Centre (207 Queen’s Quay W.). harbourfrontcentre.ca

Puppetry of the Penis

This traveling genitalia freak show from the land down under first hit it big in New York with an 18-month run beginning September 2001, which proves once and for all that we refused to let the terrorists win. If you think this novelty act is soooo 2001, any teenage boy will gladly remind you that playing with one’s penis never goes out of style.

Will Sloan

Dec. 11-12, 7:30 p.m. $37.50 to $47.50. Winter Garden Theatre (189 Yonge St.). ticketmaster.ca

Toronto Small Press Book Fair

Fans of the annual celebration of independent Toronto print media will doubtlessly be intrigued to hear that this year’s event has been moved from the Toronto Reference Library to the Gladstone Hotel, and that means a lot more space and a lot more alcohol.—WS

Sat. Dec. 12, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen St. W.). torontosmallpressbookfair.org

Do Make Say Think

Fun fact: the psychedelic-influenced, post-rock group Do May Say Think recorded their eponymous debut album at the late, great CIUT headquarters. Their weekend of concerts in support of their latest disc, Other Truths, will also include performances from DMST side projects Happiness Project (Charles Spearin) and Years (Ohad Benchetrit). —SW

Dec. 12-14, 8:30 p.m. $16 advance. Enwave Theatre, Harbourfront Centre (231 Queen’s Quay W.). harbourfrontcentre.ca

The ROM’s Gallery of Gems and Gold

Can’t get that special someone the diamond bracelet for Christmas she so clearly wants? Why not treat her to this lavish exhibit of 600 rare and beautiful gems at the Royal Ontario Museum? Come to think of it, that’s a fairly disappointing consolation present, but throw in a one of those plastic gold rings they sell at the gift shop and I’m sure you’ll be fine.—WS

Exhibit opens Dec. 19. Royal Ontario Museum (100 Queen’s Park). rom.on.ca.

Elliott Brood

Coax in the new year with Elliott Brood, the three-piece folk set with a self-described “death-country” sound that would be quite at home in the backwoods of the deep south—or on the soundtrack of a Coen Brothers film. The guys of Elliott Brood have also had a critically successful year, coming fresh off of two Juno nominations and a short-list nod for the Polaris Prize.—EK

Dec. 31. $20 advance. Lee’s Palace (529 Bloor St. W.). leespalace.com

6: http:// leespalace.com