While the rest of the world prepared for the launch of a brand-new decade, the University of Toronto hosted the 19th edition of their National Invitational Tournament at the Athletic Centre from Dec. 28 to 30.

The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds, Winnipeg Wesman, Brock Badgers, Dalhousie Tigers, and the Ryerson Rams all joined the host Varsity Blues in the six-team tourney.

Dec. 28

On Monday, the Badgers and Wesmen opened the tournament. The Wesman got off on the right foot by taking the first set 25-20. Brock then settled down taking the next three sets 25-18, 25-22, and 25-23, and the match.

Player of the Match Erin Mercer of the Badgers led the way for her team with 15 kills, three solo blocks, and 13 digs. For Winnipeg, southpaw Ariel Smith matched Mercer with 15 kills of her own to her match-high 16 digs. Also worth mention is the Wesman’s Lauren Sears, who gave the Badgers headaches all match behind the service line, finishing with five aces in the losing cause.

In the only other match on Monday, it was the battle of the colours: the hometown Varsity Blues versus the Varsity Reds.

It looked like the Reds were about to blow the Blues out of water with a three-set sweep after taking the first two sets, 25-18 and 29-27.

However, storming back into the match with a dominating 25-16 third set, comeback was clearly in the cards for the Blues as they calmly took the final two sets 25-21 and 15-10, respectively.

Karlee Diesing led the Blues attack with an astounding 18 kills and two aces, while Heather Bansley nearly matched Diesing’s numbers with another vintage performance thanks to her 17 kills and three aces.

The Reds’ six-foot-three behemoth, Barb Vriends did most of the damage for the east-coasters, finishing the match with 12 kills and six blocks.

Dec. 29

The Varsity Reds and the Ryerson Rams started Tuesday’s 12-hour volleyball marathon.

The Reds, clearly not happy with their collapse on Monday, swept through the Rams in almost an hour, 25-20, 26-24, 25-20, to exact a little revenge on the other Toronto team in the tournament.

Once again, Vriends led the Reds’ attack with nine kills and seven blocks. Leah Saar did her best to keep her Rams in it with 10 kills, one ace, and seven digs.

Game two was an all-Ontario match-up with the Blues taking on the Badgers. Blues head coach Kristine Drakich elected to rest most of her starters for this match, and it clearly showed on the scoreboard.

The Blues’ substitutes simply could not stop the Badgers offence. In a blink of the eye, the match was over with the Badgers taking it, 25-16, 25-17, and 25-10.

Rookie Rebecca Crosier led the Blues’ attack with seven kills and an ace, while Kristina Valjas, injured all season until the NIT, chipped in with three kills of her own.

Brock’s Shannon Anderson topped all Badgers with 11 kills and three aces.

Game three featured the NIT’s other east coast team, the Dalhousie Tigers, making their tourney debut against the Wesmen.

Despite getting blown out in the third set, Winnipeg killed the match in four (25-23, 25-18, 14-25, 25-21) giving the Tigers a rude welcome to the tournament.

The high-flying Smith led the way again for the Wesmen with an amazing eight aces to go with 14 kills and eight digs.

Lousie Facca played great all-around ball for the Tigers, finishing the match with 13 kills and 24 digs.

Game four saw the Badgers looking to go perfect for the NIT in their third and final match against the Reds.

It didn’t look good at all for the Badgers after the first set, falling 25-11 before either team had even broken a sweat.

That debacle of a set clearly awoke a sleeping monster as the Badgers dominated the rest of the way, winning the match in four sets (11-25, 25-18, 25-18, 25-22).

Mercer took home her second Player of the Match honours thanks to her 14-kill, four-block, two-ace performance. Tanya Paulin had a stellar match for the Reds with 12 kills and six blocks of her own.

The final game on Tuesday had the hosts taking on the Wesmen at centre court. This time Drakich went with her starters and got the results she wanted. A clean three-set sweep over the ladies from Winnipeg (25-14, 25-21, 25-19) clearly displayed what the Blues are capable of.

Valjas, looking stronger every match, led the Blues offensively with 12 kills (tied with Bansley) and three aces and blocks.

Dec. 30

From the Varsity Blues to the Varsity Reds, the Wesman barely had any time to catch their breath when they were on the court again Wednesday facing UNB on the final day of the NIT.

Once again Winnipeg took it on the chin getting swept out of the tournament 25-22, 25-19, and 25-21.

On a positive note, Smith turned in another solid performance with seven kills and 10 digs for the Wesman. Rebecca Glancy and Tanya Paulin powered the Reds offence with 10 and nine kills respectively on the match.

The grand finale of the NIT featured the Varsity Blues and the Tigers.

After dropping the first set 25-21, the Blues sent their fans home happy by winning a tight second set 25-23 and then cruising through the third and fourth sets by identical 25-16 scores.

Bansley and Valjas continued their two-headed monster attack with 21 combined kills. They also got solid support from Crosier’s six aces and one block and Lauren Willoughby also came up big with three aces and three blocks.

Raeesa Lalani had nine kills and three aces, while Kirstie Shephard had eight kills, three blocks, and nine digs in a losing effort.

The matches start counting again beginning Saturday, Jan. 9 when the Blues resume their OUA schedule by hosting the Ottawa Gee-Gees at 4 p.m.