The Varsity Blues women’s hockey team donned pink jerseys for the third-annual “Cheer Blue, Think Pink” weekend, where U of T women’s teams raise money for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. On Saturday, the Blues fell 3-0 to the Laurier Golden Hawks, but defeated the Waterloo Warriors the next day 3-0. Currently fifth in the OUA standings, the team is set to make the playoffs. It was a scoreless first period in Saturday’s game, with a near miss by Blues team captain Karolina Urban. Golden Hawks captain Andrea Ironside opened scoring in the second period off an assist by forward Kaley Powers. Ironside scored again in the third period with a skillful backhand move. Forward Laura Barolini secured Laurier’s win with 1:32 remaining, giving her team a 3-0 win and continuing their undefeated season. The Blues held the lead through most of Sunday’s game beginning with defenceman Allie White scoring with under four minutes left in the first period, assisted by forwards Amanda Fawns and Kelly O’Hanlon. The second period was scoreless but not without intensity. Several players became entangled in opposing players’ hockey sticks, resulting in several skids on the ice in tireless pursuit of the puck. Blues captain Karolina Urban actually slid into Waterloo’s goal in one of many heated scoring frenzies. Engineering’s Lady Godiva Memorial Band also made an appearance in the second period, with their usual wacky attire and unique soundtrack. When a referee asked the band to play more quietly there were a few boos from the audience, who seemed to enjoy the band’s accompaniment. It was in the third period that the Blues clinched their victory, led first by forward Lindsay Hill and assisted by Urban and forward Brenley Jorgensen. Midway through the period, Blues forward Emily Milito scored again, assisted by defenceman Amy Cornell and forward Ryan Danford. “I think it’s good for the three teams to play for a fundraiser for breast cancer,” commented Blues head coach Karen Hughes. “It’s nice to do something as a group of teams as well. It makes you realize you’re a part of a bigger team than just your own.” The women’s volleyball and basketball teams also held fundraising efforts and sported pink jerseys over the weekend. The victory also secured the Blues a playoff spot. “We’re in the playoffs now with the win tonight,” said Hughes. “It gives us enough points so that we will finish at worst fifth. We can still finish in fourth depending on next weekend’s games.” *The Blues will face Brock University on Feb. 13 at Varsity Arena and play the Gryphons at the University of Guelph on Feb. 14. Interested buyers can bid on the pink jerseys worn by the Blues at www.varsityblues.ca/whockeyauction with proceeds going to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, Ontario Chapter.*