Hot Chip—One Life Stand

Hot Chip have been riding a big wave since their single “Ready For The Floor” soared up the charts in 2008: they’ve been featured as musical guests on several late-night talk shows and their tours have been packed. After all this acclaim, you’d expect the crew to kick into high gear to capitalize on their success. But when Alexis Taylor hinted early on that their new album was “going to be a bit calmer,” it was actually a forewarning that the band may have lost their steam.

It’s clear that Hot Chip were aiming to experiment with several different genres on One Life Stand, but the dabbling never comes off feeling very accomplished. Songs like “We Have Love” and “Thieves In The Night” are cookie-cutter dance-synth cut-outs, and this safe approach quickly gets boring.

![alt text][1]

The second half isn’t much better, beginning with the awkward harmonies on “Slush” that render the song unlistenable. “Alley Cats” is the one true gem on this album, featuring great lyrics, a wide array of instruments, and effective melodies. Still, it’s not enough to save the disc.

Taylor and bandmate Joe Goddard clearly have strong voices and are capable of writing lyrics that take your mind to the clouds. Their sound is marked with a sweet finesse, but talent alone is not enough to make a great disc. It’s time for Hot Chip to start focusing more and taking more risks.—Ben Nieuwland

VV (out of five)

[1]: