Cannabis college

Hundreds have graduated from Med Grow Cannabis College, founded in November 2009 in Detroit, Michigan.

“Medical marijuana has the potential to become probably a billion-dollar industry in Michigan,” said Nick Tennant, the school’s 24-year-old founder. Tennant said attitudes towards marijuana are changing in Detroit due to troubled financial conditions.

Michigan is one of 14 states with medical marijuana laws. The 2008 Medical Marijuana Act allows caregivers to care for up to five registered patients, at a rate of 12 plants and 70 grams (2.5 ounces) per patient.

In theory, the marijuana is intended strictly for the sick patients, such as those suffering from cancer. In practice, said lecturer and Detroit attorney Mathew Abel, “Anybody who smokes pot and doesn’t have a medical marijuana card at this point is just an idiot.”—Ryan Tuzyk

Source: Healthzone.ca

School shooting leaves two teens injured

A gunman with a hunting rifle shot at students in a Denver middle school parking lot on Wednesday, injuring two before a teacher tackled him to the ground.

Bruco Strong Eagle Eastwood, 32 years old, has been identified as the shooter. Police are unsure of Eastwood’s motives, but revealed he had an arrest record for domestic abuse, assault, and driving under the influence.

Both students survived the attack. One has been released and the other is recovering in hospital.

Math teacher David Benke, a 6-foot-5 former basketball player, was monitoring the parking lot when he heard a loud noise. Spotting the gunman, Benke pinned the shooter with the help of another teacher on the scene.

“He figured out that he wasn’t going to be able to get another round chambered before I got to him, so he dropped the gun, and then we were kind of struggling around trying to get him subdued,” said Benke.

Eastwood had a court appearance Wednesday and could face up to two counts of attempted murder.—Tim Legault

Source: BBC News

Government funding for elite athletes to disappear after Olympics

Canada’s athletics training program, Own the Podium, may become strapped for cash. The federal government has indicated that it will not chip in to fill the $11-million funding gap that will arise after the Olympic Winter Games end.

According to sports minister Gary Lunn, instead of federal support, Ottawa will appeal to Canadian companies and other donors for money. “You shouldn’t just always reach to government and say ‘Oh, it’s your problem,’” said Lunn.

Own the Podium launched in 2005 to help Canada become a top medal contender for the Vancouver Olympics. Ottawa covered half of the program’s annual $22 million operating cost. The other half came from provincial governments and corporations, most of which is expected to disappear following the end of the 2010 Olympics.

“I can honestly say that I would not have this [gold medal] in my hand without the Own the Podium program,” said Canadian ice dancer Soctt Moir, who along with his partner Tessa Virtue won a gold medal last Tuesday.—TL

Source: The Globe and Mail