York student suspended for anti-Semitic postings

Salman Hossain, a student at York University, has been suspended from school for posting anti-Semitic messages online.

Hossain, a former U of T student, is also currently under investigation by the OPP Hate Crimes and Extremism unit for writing online material promoting genocide against Jews.

The Canadian Jewish Congress urged police for the past year to investigate Hossain. Bernie Farber, the group’s CEO, told the National Post that the Jewish community is “now breathing a sigh of relief” and that “York has done the right thing.”

Hossain was known to police as long as three years ago, and was facing charges last year for similar online messages. Ontario Attorney General Chris Bentley did not proceed with the case last year because the postings were removed and Hossain was undergoing rehabilitation at the time.

A hearing to determine Hossain’s fate at York will be held within the next two months.—Louise Daurio

Source: National Post

Red Loin offends some

The University of Manitoba’s equity service office is examining the latest issue of the engineering student magazine to determine if it is offensive.

For the past 35 years, U of M’s Engineer Society has published a magazine three times a year called Red Lion. The magazine is specifically for engineers and is only available in the engineering faculty buildings. Their fourth issue is a joke issue, called Red Loin.

This year’s issue contains sexually explicit articles in which male engineers tell women how to pleasure them. It also contains statistics on the speed of ejaculation, duration of erections, penis length, average size of nipples and vaginas, average duration of male orgasm, and erection angles.

Megan Lusty, the head of the Engineering Society council, said the magazine is meant to entertain, not offend. Faculty members have stepped forward to say they find the magazine offensive, that it objectifies women and is a clear example of why engineering continues to be a male-dominated profession.—Charlotte Tombs

Source: Winnipeg Free Press

U Windsor investigates cheating

The University of Windsor is looking into possible cheating on a first-year psychology midterm, which could mean 1,100 students will have to rewrite the test. According to a student, the Feb. 26 midterm had 80 questions derived from the professor’s course kit and 40 derived from course lectures. This kit, provided by the publisher, contained a disc of the answers to multiple choice test questions. The disc is believed to be the source of the answers.

The course’s professor, Kenneth Cramer, sent an email to all students after the exam stating that the Academic Integrity Office has “substantial evidence to show that the test bank for [the] Lefton text has been compromised, circulating among the students.”—CT

Source: The Windsor Star

Crime briefs

• While most of February saw routine offences, two major incidents occurred at the end of the month. On Feb. 28, campus police investigated a report of sexual assault at 44 Devonshire Ave. A car crash happened the same day at King’s College Circle.

• The month turned up 26 thefts, 15 counts of mischief, 16 occurrences of trespassing, 12 medical assists, and a single noise complaint.

• Five unattended laptops and a bike were stolen, as was $400 in cash. Another count of grand theft under $5,000 was reported. Six thefts happened on Feb. 8 alone, when the lockers of three students in Morrison were raided and three similar thefts occurred in other buildings.

• On Feb. 24, as a blizzard gave way to slippery roads, medical assistance was required for a person who slipped on the sidewalk and another who fell off his bike.

• Robarts Library took the prize for the most active spot, followed by Gerstein and 70 Harbord St.—Haman Mamdouhi