For just $5 at the door earlier this month, I left Wooopsies Laugh Lounge with a sore tummy from laughing so hard. My mouth just couldn’t stop turning upwards and my hands applauded on their very own as if programmed to do so. This show is literally laugh-out-loud hilarious.

It all started with a one-night stand. U of T grad and comedian Kaitlin Loftus went home with someone after a night of drinking. Realizing her embarrassment the next morning, she thought it would be a good idea to send him a personal message that read, quite simply, “Wooopsies,” via Facebook. She never received a response. But she did turn a negative into a positive—specifically, into a comedy series.

“Sometimes the best comedy comes from real-life situations and I can definitely say that Wooopsies was inspired by a true story,” said Loftus. “There’s no faking in comedy. It’s either funny or it’s not. You know if you’re good and you know if you’re not, because nobody laughed.”

Loftus, who is a self-proclaimed klutz, admits to using many of her own life experiences as inspiration for stand-up material. The humour and subject matter incorporated into this show is edgy, explicit, and appeals to an open-minded crowd. Simply put, it’s bold and it’s ballsy.

“In the three years, we’ve seen about three dicks on stage,” said Loftus, adding that flashing is something to be expected and the show’s comedians possess little to no shame.

At every show, she also performs in the sketch troupe Cheap Smokes, which is constantly writing new material. “Because we perform every two weeks and we want the same people to come back, we don’t want them to see the same thing twice,” she said.

The show itself started as mainly a sketch comedy series, then evolved into sketch stand-up and monologues. Now the performances include comedic videos and vaudeville-esque acts. Wooopsies host Allyson Smith, who is a teacher by day, opens every act with a wise crack. She’s sassy, silly, and has no problem making fun of herself if a good giggle comes out of it.

As Loftus explains, “I always try and get a couple new acts per show because there are a bunch of different cliques in the comedy scene in Toronto. We want to give stage time opportunities to other people. At the beginning, I would go down to Humber College and talk to first years and second years. I give priority to people just starting out.”

Although she’s always a bit apprehensive about bringing on new acts, she points out that comedy itself is a funny thing and you just never know who’s going to receive uproarious laughs or standing ovations.

“Whenever a comedian is on stage, I’m like a proud mom,” said Loftus. “The more nervous they are, the more nervous I get for them. I just always care.”

And it shows. The 24-year-old comedian has worked hard to establish Wooopsies Laugh Lounge as a reputable comedy show in the city, receiving sponsorship from Humber College, free food from its venue during intermission and the support of city-based comedians at the shows.

“It’s a great feeling when I look out into the audience and I don’t know any of these people. At first, it was my family and friends in the crowd because I was always bothering them to come, and now, thanks to mostly word of mouth and Facebook and stuff, Wooopsies seems to be getting the attention it really deserves.”

It may be a hodgepodge of comedy combos, but it’s certainly funny.

Wooopsies Laugh Lounge hits the stage every Monday night at The Poor Alex at Dundas St. W. Tickets are $5 at the door. The next show is tonight at 8:30 p.m.