Anonymous UBC forum has admin in arms

University Counsel, the UBC legal department, and UBC Security are investigating UBC Life, a new online forum launched anonymously on Wednesday.

“The University is definitely not behind [UBC Life],” said Scott Macrae, Executive Director of Public Affairs at UBC, in an interview with The Ubyssey, “there is an ongoing investigation.”

University concern was rooted in the site’s misrepresentation as a university supported project. The forum was made to look like an official UBC site and the initial launch email was designed to look like a broadcast message sent from the administration.

Jens Hausser, Director of Strategy in the Office of the Vice Provost commented on the story through Twitter, saying “the forum would be just fine if they hadn’t forged a broadcast message to advertise it, or attempted to make it look like a UBC site.” Before it was taken down, the site included discussions on issues such as loans, life in residence and exams.

Source: The Ubyssey

University of Ottawa budget makes big cutbacks

Amid cries of “shame” and “lies” from student audience members, the University of Ottawa Board of Governors approved a budget that includes $23.1 million in cutbacks.

Controversy centred on an optimization report presented to the Board that recommended $31.1 million in cuts. The report, taking one year and $160,000 to complete, had the stated mandate of balancing the budget and enhancing the student experience.

The budget accepted most of the optimization report suggestions to reduce expenditures save for student fee increases, cancellation of classes, reduction of assistantships, and cancellation of scholarships and financial aid.

Included in the budget was an average 4.3 per cent tuition fee increase. Increases ranged from four percent for returning students to eight percent for medicine, management, and law students.

Source: The Fulcrum

York University student dies in police pursuit

Third-year student Alexander Manon, 18, died of a heart attack while being pursued by police. Police pulled over a a car Manon was driving on May 5 at approximately 6:30pm after which the York student fled on foot and was pursued by officers. Local community members, including Manon’s family, suspect police brutality.

“How does a healthy 18-year old end up dead in a pool of blood with ribs, head and neck injuries?” asked a statement from Manon’s family.

Manon was later pronounced dead at York Finch Hospital. The family’s lawyer, Selwyn Pieters, told the Toronto Star that he spoke with three witnesses who were at the scene. One witness, a friend of Manon’s who was also in the car, alleges the death was not caused by a heart attack but rather by a beating.

On May 7 Manon’s family were outside the Toronto coroner’s office demanding answers and memorializing their son.

“[He was a] charming, wonderful young man” sister Amanda Manon told the Toronto Star on May 7. “Very motivated, funny, kind and generous. We’re just in pain right now.”

Source: The Excalibur

Carleton students and administrators compromise over frosh week

Carleton’s administration is partnering with students for this year’s frosh week after student outcry greeted an April decision by administration to take over the event.

In an email to The Charlatan Suzanne Blanchard, Associate Vice-President, said that the administration would once again work in partnership, with a few caveats.

“The University will have the final say on a number of aspects of the week,” said the email. The administration will focus on coordinating activities that help students adapt to the university while the student body will be responsible for volunteer coordination and social events.

Following the administration’s announcement that it would have sole authority for this year’s frosh week, rallies protesting the decision were held on April 14 and 20. Blanchard has told The Charlatan that the protests had no impact on the decision and rather that the university had planned to work in consultation with the student body from the beginning.

Source: The Charlatan