The University of Toronto will host three women’s Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championships within the next five years.

The CIS announced that the Varsity Blues have won bids to host the 2012-13 women’s hockey, 2013-14 women’s soccer, and 2014-15 women’s volleyball national championships.

Women’s volleyball head coach, Kristine Drakich, is excited to have landed a CIS championship on home turf.

“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to bring the Championships to our campus. It’s a chance to showcase the best CIS women’s volleyball right here at U of T and to compete for a National Championships at home.”

Although Drakich believes that U of T excels in supporting high performance sports, she thinks that hosting the championships will further improve athletics at U of T.

“The fact that U of T will be hosting so many championships in the next few years, and has hosted so many in the past, demonstrates that U of T is a school that supports high performance sport. This is a great thing for recruitment of student-athletes in all sports. It shows them that U of T is a place where excellence in both academics and athletics are valued.”

U of T’s facilities stand out as some of the best places in Canada to compete in.

In 2006, the building of the state-of-the-art 5,000 seat Varsity Centre, which boasts an artificial turf field of the highest quality available, was completed. Plans are also in the works for the creation of the Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport. It will be located on Devonshire Place and house a 2,000 seat basketball and volleyball court.

Drakich is very eager for her team, who are guaranteed to be in the championships as the hosts, to have the opportunity to compete for the championship in the new volleyball facilities.

“One thing that will be really exciting is to have the chance to compete for the National Championship in the new U of T Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport. This will really demonstrate University of Toronto’s commitment to sporting excellence from the student-athletes, to the passionate supporters and to the excellent facilities.”