Two members of the Waterloo Warriors football team that was rocked by a steroid scandal this summer have transferred to the University of Toronto and will be gearing up as Blues this season.

Brad Morton, who is in his third year and Hugo Lopez, who is in his fourth, have obtained visiting student status at U of T for the 2010-2011 academic year and will still receive their degrees from the University of Waterloo.

The University of Waterloo suspended its football program for the 2010-2011 season after it came underfire in the biggest steroid investigation in Canadian university history and nine players were confirmed to be involved in “doping-related infractions.”

Eligible players, like Morton and Lopez, however, were able to transfer schools in order to play football this season.

Morton and Lopez, who are both defensive backs, were shocked, saddened, and surprised by the events that led to their football program’s suspension, but are happy to have the chance to be playing at all this season.

“We’re just trying to make the best of it by moving on. U of T has accepted us and I couldn’t be happier to be here,” said Morton.

Lopez and Morton both acknowledge U of T’s proximity to their families and its outstanding facilities as their reasons for choosing to transfer here.

Morton, a resident of York Region, said, “I can live at home and there’s a comfort level there. U of T’s got a great program and is building up a lot like Waterloo. There’s a beautiful stadium here, great coaches, good players.”

Lopez, who is also from York Region added, “ I’ve got to be close to family this year. I’m going through some rough times with family and being close is a huge thing for me. And there are unbelievable facilities here.”

Morton and Lopez admit, however, that transferring teams has been difficult.

“I miss all those guys and the coach back at Waterloo. The coaches here and the players have made the transition easy, but it’s just a hard thing to get over. Every day is just trying to move on, but there are ups and downs,” said Morton.

“We’ve just got to continue and adjust and be grateful for where we are right now,” said Lopez.

Morton and Lopez, although both proud Warriors, plan to play just as strongly while donning the white-and-blue uniform as Varsity Blues.

Lopez said, “Football is like a brotherhood. Any player knows the brotherhood code. You look out for one another and it doesn’t matter who you are, what size you are or where you come from. You treat everyone equally.

“I was built a Warrior and I’ll finish off as a Blue, proudly. I’ll do the best I can here. The goal is for us to have a winning season like any other team. I’m going to come out strong just like I would for the Warriors as hard as I can and be my best to all my ability.”

Spotlight on:

alt textHUGO LOPEZ

Position: Defensive Back

Height: 6ft 3”

Nickname: Huey, Hughes, Trini

Eligibility year: 4

Program: Spanish/Business

Hometown: Newmarket, ON

Hugo was a starter for all three seasons that he played as a Warrior at Waterloo from 2007-2009. He made 48 solo tackles (22 as a rookie, and 13 each year afterwards) in 22 games as a Warrior.

alt textBRAD MORTON

Position: Defensive Back

Height: 5ft 11”

Nickname: Morty

Eligibility year: 3

Program: History

Hometown: Markham, ON

Brad played for the Warriors during the 2008 and 2009 seasons. He recorded seven solo tackles over five games in the 2009 season.