Oxford Comma: Classic ≠ Dated.

Left: Elizabeth Kagedan. Menswear for women has always been a tried and true method of a bold fashion aficionado. Androgyny is, as it seems, OUT and class, not crass, has crashed its way back into the collections of Fall/Winter 2010-2011. The blouse-and-trousers combo is never going to be out of style; however, be a little more daring and look for accents like a secretary collar or a feminine print to infuse the spirit of youthful vitality and coy flirtation into your Dad’s white button-down. A shorter length, a cinched waist and some suspenders update the dandy trouser into a sexy and fresh way to dress for the modern age. The perfect accessory is always the way to add a flourish of personality to any outfit, and everyone should own a solid pair of dress shoes and a practical carry-all. Girls, ditch the TNA and Lulu’s. Boys leave the Burton backpacks back in your high school lockers where they belong. Giddy-up and get with it with some Saddle shoes and invest in a briefcase because hey, we’re in university now — the rest just looks like child’s play.

Freewheelin’ Utilitarian

Middle: Aaron Zach. Let’s keep it simple boys. It’s all about the canonical staple fashion items — comfortably cool and confident is the look for men this season. Despite its blue collar history, the blue jean is so much more than that, and comes in so many more fabulous colors these days. Instead of the traditional true-blue wash, opt more for a darker indigo, black or even grey version for more mileage and less stress. Investments are key here; a great utility jacket in a vivid neutral with pocket and button detailing and a pair of all-purpose trekking-friendly boots will make for an easy transition from the crispness of autumn to the glacial temperament of winter. If glossy leather Docs are too “I just got discharged” for you, perhaps try buck leather, or shaved suede — same use, but with a more subtle vintage feel.

Combat Baby: Badassery of Chic

Right: Evelyn Lee. The dichotomy of hard and soft, bold and understated, and gothic and glamorous was executed with militant precision in fashion weeks overseas by the likes of design gods Marc Jacobs, Christopher Bailey and Miuccia Prada. Clothing takes on an almost architectural identity with a play on structure and volume. Experiment with rich textures like leather, fur, lace, wool and velvet, in both bold and muted colors, not only to brave the volatile winds approaching, but also to achieve an instant “wow” factor. There is a call to arms for aggressive outerwear: full-length coats, cropped jackets, and either ankle-length or thigh-high boots have invaded the urban catwalk. These statement pieces are by nature very masculine, and are best paired with something feminine and pretty. Elegant tailored dresses in luxurious or flirty fabrics are your best bet — not only because you can dress them up, down and all around, but because a great fit and feel will always stand the test of time even after trends notoriously fizzle.

Styling by Aaron Zach and Elizabeth Kagedan