Find a reason to get going!

I started long distance running, like most other people do, because I needed a way of staying fit this summer. I wasn’t going to be able to do my usual routine of rugby and weight-lifting because I up and moved to Washington D.C. for four months due to an internship I landed. Whenever I travel, I always bring my running shoes (even if I’ll only be in foreign location for a day or two). There’s no better way of getting to know the city you’re in than running its streets. You get a feel for it, its pulse, smells, sounds, people, dogs, and drivers. You can tell a lot about a city by running it.

Know where you’re going and for how long

Washington is designed on a grid, so it was easy to navigate after looking at a map for a few minutes. I use www.runningmap.com as a way of figuring out where I’ll run before I set out, and to measure distances. The site allows you to plot out routes, and see their elevation and distance. It’s useful if you plan on running a fixed distance.

Make it fun to run

In a city like D.C., there’s lots to see on any given 4 mile route, just as in Toronto. You just have to pick the right route and you’ll never be bored. One way to avoid boredom is to not run laps around Queen’s Park. Try running a massive loop around U of T’s campus, or down along the trails by the Lakeshore. Try to steer clear of treadmills. It’s not the same, and your calves don’t develop the same way. I developed quite the repertoire of routes this summer, ranging from three miles to a full 12 miles. I miss them now that I’m back in Toronto, but it means I get to spend countless hours and buckets of sweat discovering new ones.

Goal-setting

In July, as an attempt to justify running increasingly long distances, I signed up for my first half-marathon – the Army Run half marathon on September 19 in Ottawa. I needed a reason to motivate myself past the standard noontime and extended weekend runs.

I spent the rest of my summer slowly but surely building up distance and time on my runs. One week I’d go for longer distances hitting as high as 12 miles. The next week I’d try and do a pace of 7 miles an hour. I nearly puked each time. It’s by no means a fast pace, but everyone has to start somewhere right?

Know yourself

The thing about training for running is that you have to know yourself. Know when you need to take a break, but know when you can push yourself. Music often helps me push the last mile. I run with my iPod blaring an odd mix of rap, country, heavy metal, and pop. I found that putting some time and effort into making a playlist that motivated me to finish strong every single time was well worth it.

At the end of the day, who cares?

Whenever you go running, do it for yourself. If running was my job, or if I had to it in competition for school I don’t think I’d like it as much. What started out as a way to disconnect from the world for an hour a day has turned into something else for me. Hitting the runner’s high every time is still what I seek when I set out.

After running her first half marathon in September, Ariel Garneau immediately signed up for the next one she could find. She ran the Toronto Goodlife Fitness half marathon on Sunday.