Scientists uncover hidden oasis on the moon

Generally, destroying an expensive, intricate space probe is the last way one would expect scientists to reach a vital discovery. But last year, NASA did just that. The Lunar Crater Observation and Sensitive Satellite mission was sent on a collision course with a crater to find out more about the existence of water on the lunar surface. The probe’s successful meeting last October and its results were published in the journal Science on October 21.

Hidden in perpetual darkness at -232 degrees Celsius, the Cabeus crater is unusual for the high levels of hydrogen detected in the atmosphere surrounding it. Thanks to this anomaly, scientists working at NASA had suspected the crater’s soil might contain high concentrations of water. The recent data from the collision estimates that each ton of lunar soil contains roughly thirteen gallons of water — an oasis on an otherwise dry, barren moon.

These results are significant for future space missions in the solar system. Water from the Cabeus Crater could be used for a lunar base or as a fuel source for rockets. Both these outcomes would be ideal because the lunar gravitational pull, which is six times weaker than the Earth’s, would make it a cheaper launching pad for space missions.— Keegan Williams

Source: The Toronto Star