10.

Alex Hill dunks on Bishop’s

Friday, October 29, 2010 – Yes, this was during a preseason game, but it still doesn’t take away from the fact that this thunderous slam actually made it on to The Score’s Court Cuts segment. Grabbing the rebound in his own end, Alex Hill dribbled coast to coast and threw down on two unsuspecting Bishop Gaiters, complete with a stare down after the posterizing.

9.

Women’s Rowing at OUA Championship

Sunday, October 31, 2010 – Jen and Kate Sauks earned a gold medal in the lightweight doubles with a time of 7:53.7. The sisters did not stop there, however, as they also contributed to the heavyweight eight bronze medal later on that day. Alana Komisar picked up a silver medal in the single with a time of 8:04.1, and Claire Hutchison and Elise Mackie also silvered in the heavyweight doubles with a time of 7:31.1. Komisar, Hutchison, and Mackie also participated in the heavyweight eight.

8.

Rob Paris nets record 46 points versus York

Saturday, January 23, 2010 – Blues guard Rob Paris was absolutely on fire when they visited the Lions. He shot a sizzling 58 per cent from the field, including seven three-pointers, on his way to a U of T record 46 points. Oh yes, and the Blues won the game, 87–84.

7.

Women’s Volleyball wins OUA Championship

Saturday, February 27, 2010 – After finishing the regular season on top of the OUA East standings by winning nine of their last games, the Blues found themselves in the OUA Finals against top-ranked McMaster. For the Blues, it was an opportunity for revenge as they lost the OUA Finals to McMaster in 2008. This time, the Blues were led by OUA player of the year and first team All-Canadian Heather Bansley, OUA East libero of the year Michelle Wood, and OUA second team player Karlee Diesing. Toronto swept the Marauders 3-0 and took the title, inspired by the play of their leaders. Wood had 18 digs and was awarded player of the match and tournament MVP, Diesing had a match-high 16 kills, and Bansley was all over the stat sheet with 10 kills, two aces, and 19 digs.

6.

Nick Magalas and Rob Paris reach 1000-point mark

January 16 & 23, 2010 – On January 16, Nick Magalas scored 33 points as he eclipsed the 1,000-point milestone in his Blues basketball career against the Carleton Ravens. Magalas became the fifth player in U of T history to pass the 1,000- point mark. The following week, on January 23, Rob Paris also surpassed 1,000 points. Currently, Paris and Magalas sit third and fourth all-time, respectively.

5.

Men’s Soccer wins OUA Championship

Photo by Alex Nursall/The Varsity

Sunday, November 7, 2010 – It was a clash between the OUA East and West champions, and turned out to be a thriller. Blues goalkeeper and player of the match John Smits was outstanding protecting his net, making a key save on York’s Adrian Pena’s penalty shot in the 37th minute. With the score 0–0, the game went to a shootout, where Smits held his ground, making saves in the first, fifth, and sixth rounds as Darragh McGee converted the winning goal in the sixth round as Toronto took the title.

4.

Women’s Field Hockey wins CIS Championship

Sunday, November 7, 2010 – Despite being on the losing end of a 3–2 decision in the OUA Finals against Guelph, the Blues were still confident that they could succeed at the CIS Championship, and they did just that. Toronto took on defending champions UBC and came out with a 2–1 victory, thanks to a late goal by Katherine McNeill. Her goal off of a rebound with four minutes to play gave the Blues the lead and deflated a pressing Thunderbirds team. Toronto went undefeated in the tournament on their way to their 11th CIS title, tying them with the University of Victoria for the second most tournament wins all-time, one behind UBC.

3.

Women’s Track and Field wins two gold medals

Saturday, March 13, 2010 – Day 3 of the CIS Track and Field Championship was doubly successful for U of T, as the Blues saw two of their competitors win gold in their respective events. Sarah Boyle, last year’s gold medalist, repeated this year in the high jump with a jump of 1.80 metres, slightly better than her 2009 performance. Megan Brown finished at the top of the podium in the 1500-metre race with a season-best time of 4:23.27, adding to her pair of silver medals won the day before, one in the 1000-metre race and the other in the 3000-metre race.

2.

Men’s Football upsets #2 Ottawa

Saturday, October 2, 2010 – Rookie running back Aaron Milton probably would have the Blues play of the year with his U of T record-tying 105-yard touchdown run, but the reason Blues football made this list is because of who it was against. The Blues stunned the CIS with a 40-35 win over the second-ranked Ottawa Gee-Gees, the first time the Blues have beaten a ranked opponent since they defeated Waterloo in 1997. The Blues had not beaten Ottawa since 1972.

1.

Russell earns seven medals at CIS Championship

February 19-21, 2010 – Colin Russell absolutely dominated at the national championships, earning seven medals in seven events. Russell picked up three individual gold medals, two relay golds, an individual silver, and a relay silver over the weekend. He also broke his own CIS record in the 50-metre freestyle, set in 2009, with a time of 21.73 seconds. Russell was awarded CIS male swimmer of the year for the performance.