The “misattribution of arousal” theory explains how we are often physically aroused, and form beliefs about what is causing the arousal — beliefs that may or may not be accurate. Not surprisingly, this theory can have some serious implications for your Valentine’s Day plans.

A classic study on misattribution was performed by Dutton and Aron in 1974. The experiment consisted of two groups of men, who were asked to walk across a wide, stable bridge over solid ground, or across a wobbly, rope bridge suspended 200 feet above a river. Halfway across each bridge, a female experimenter gave the participants her telephone number in case they had any follow-up questions.

The experimenters found that over 60 per cent of the wobbly bridge participants called the woman back, versus only 30 per cent of the stable bridge participants. This is because the men on the more frightening bridge misattributed the cause of the arousal to sexual attraction rather than to fear.

So how can we use this tidbit from social psychology to our advantage?

1. It’s always a good idea to scare your lady-friend on the first date. Scary movies, roller coasters — anything that gets the heart racing. If you’re lucky, your date will confuse the fear-invoked arousal for sexual arousal toward you. And hopefully she’ll hold your hand.

2. Drive fast (but not too fast)! I’m not suggesting you break the speed limit here, but aggressive driving can stimulate the heart just like a rollercoaster. So drive to a theatre to watch a thriller and you’re set.

3. Physical activity. Go paint balling, play basketball, speed walk — whatever floats your boat. Personally, I find men more attractive when I’m snowboarding. I wonder why?