As Woody Allen once said, “Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions.”

One of those questions is actually a matter of muscle. Sex is hard work. So it makes sense that one of the benefits of sex, apart from the obvious, is a good workout. Are all those visits to the gym just as good as an evening under the covers?

According to research on caloric output, sexual intercourse burns around 80 to 200 calories, depending on the rigour involved. To intensify your, uh, workout, you can try for a more challenging location that requires increased dexterity and stamina.

Yes, sex can actually be a viable method of weight loss.

Apart from its energy-burning qualities, knocking boots also has many health benefits. Increased heart rate and heavy breathing can work toward increasing cardiovascular fitness and decreasing cholesterol levels. Having sex reduces your risk of developing heart disease, and also helps tone muscle groups that aren’t used on a regular basis.

Just like a good workout, sex will make you sleep better. Better sleep results in higher energy levels, increased metabolism, and faster weight loss. What’s more, you’ll also be able to stay awake in class.

Yet one issue that remains on many minds is the question of how to increase one’s sexual prowess. Quite literally, how do you get the best bang for your caloric buck?

Perhaps the most popular workout for improving sexual skill is the Kegel exercise. Originally designed to help women tighten up their vaginal muscles after giving birth to avoid mild incontinence, Kegel workouts in men can increase sexual satisfaction, and help men maintain stronger erections and control ejaculation.

Kegel exercises work on the basis of increasing muscular control of the pelvis. This involves contracting the pelvic floor and the pubic muscles. Basically, imagine you really need to pee, then try to hold it in. Rinse, and repeat.

At the level of overall health, having sex also changes your hormonal makeup, inducing sensations of well-being and reward. When you feel good, you’re more likely to engage in more positive activities — like exercise. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.

Next time you’re in the sack, just remind yourself: just because something feels good, doesn’t mean it’s bad for you.