Every once in a while, the need to stay awake all night becomes a matter of pressing importance. While the traditional habits of consuming coffee and anything to initiate a sugar high are common practice, there are certain nutritional techniques that can make those drowsy nights a little more bearable. Strategic eating can make a big difference in determining whether or not you make it through the night. Here are a few “dos” and “don’ts” to help you stay awake:

Do:

1. Consume foods that contain tyramine

Tyramine is an amino acid derivative that causes the release of adrenaline, a brain stimulant. Sources of tyramine include avocados, raspberries, eggplants, grapes, oranges, pineapple, plums, processed meats (like bacon), and soy products. It’s particularly prevalent in overripe and dried fruits like prunes, figs, and raisins.

2. Drink cold water

Drinking cold beverages can prevent tiredness. Furthermore, since eye strain is a major contributor to drowsiness, taking frequent breaks to drink water can help prevent the onset of fatigue.

Don’t:

1. Don’t consume sugar, and be particular about the types of carbohydrates you eat

Though the famous sugar high will give you a rush of energy, the subsequent crash could prematurely end your all-nighter. Even healthy carbohydrates like brown rice will stimulate the release of serotonin, a hormone that makes you feel sleepy. If you must eat carbohydrates, eat foods that have a low glycemic index, such as oatmeal or whole grain bread. They release glucose slowly and prevent the potential insulin surge that will leave you with little energy.

2. Do not overeat

Eating too much food will overwhelm your digestive system and cause your body to focus its energy on digestion, which will only make it harder to stay awake. It is best to consume a protein-rich snack every three hours to remain satiated, and provide yourself with a steady stream of energy. Examples include a handful of walnuts or almonds, as well as tuna on whole-grain crackers or hummus on vegetables.

3. Do not eat foods rich in tryptophan

Though the truth behind the post-turkey onset of drowsiness is highly debatable, tryptophan (which is commonly found in bananas, eggs, honey, chicken, fish, peanuts, and hazelnuts) gets converted to serotonin, which calms your mind and makes you sleepy. That should give you good reason to avoid foods high in this amino acid.

4. Do not eat dairy products and calcium-rich foods

The combination of calcium and tryptophan found in dairy products is a double-whammy when you’re trying to stay awake. Not only is dairy a source of tryptophan, but the calcium within the foods also stimulates your brain to make more tryptophan. Thus, milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, tofu and eggs are not ideal for your all-nighter.