Many issues on campus surround money. The university is running numerous deficits and lost a third of its endowment during the 2008 recession. Since then, university administration has tried to balance its books in a number of ways. U of T receives limited government funds, and province-mandated limits on tuition fees leave it with few financial options.

HEAD HONCHOS

Danielle Sandhu, President of the University of Toronto Students’ Union

The UTSU is one of the largest student unions in Canada and receives roughly $16 from students’ fees each semester. Union services include discounted transit and movie passes, agendas, and funding for smaller student groups. Its work off campus includes lobbying the provincial and federal governments on a range of student issues. The UTSU also puts on the Frosh Week concert, and offers exam-time care packages at several different libraries on campus.

David Naylor, President of U of T

The president is the university’s de facto CEO, ensuring that finances are in check, goals are met, and academic codes are respected. He answers to the provincial and federal governments, as well as to the university’s Governing Council, a group of 50 appointed and elected community members who give final approval to university decisions, sort of like a senate.

Cheryl Misak, Provost

Whereas the president is the university’s chief administrator and manager, the provost looks after academics. Misak is in charge of all principals and deans, ensuring the integrity of U of T’s teaching and research. The provost and her six vice-provosts are commonly professors appointed for less than five years and usually return to academic work at the conclusion of their term.

ISSUES

Flat fees

In 2009, the Governing Council approved the flat fees initiative. Students in the Faculty of Arts and Science now pay a flat rate for a full-time load, regardless of the number of credits they take. This summer, the initiative was extended to include students taking three or more credits, who now pay the equivalent of five.

Towards 2030

In 2008, U of T administration launched a plan called Towards 2030, which aims to reform the university’s structure in the next 20 years. While some of the changes are curricular and administrative, the most controversial parts of the plan call for ending government regulation of tuition fees and more scholarships to offset the resulting higher fees.

Allegations of donor influence

Some professors have raised concerns that donor funding will reshape academic priorities. For instance, the Munk School of Global Affairs has been criticized for its relationship with Peter Munk, head of mining corporation Barrick Gold; his charity donated $35 million in April 2010 to establish the School. In the past, Barrick Gold’s mining practices have led to accusations of human rights violations. The university has responded to concerns over donor influence by stating that donation procedures are always followed to the letter.

Other student unions

The Arts & Science Student Union is an umbrella group representing all Faculty of Arts and Science course unions. ASSU focuses on academics and core student services, providing copies of past exams, holding social and career events, and helping students with their studies, as well as dealing with academic penalties. At UTM and UTSC, the VP academic does work similar to ASSU. The University of Toronto Mississauga Students’ Union works with the UTSU to serve full-time students at UTM. The Scarborough Campus Students’ Union is not affiliated with the UTSU and serves full-time UTSC students. The Association of Part-Time Undergraduate Students serves all three campuses.