On October 1, the University Affairs Board of the Governing Council appointed U of T, professor Bruce Kidd, as the Interim Warden of Hart House.

He is replacing Dr. Louise Cowin, who will be joining the University of British Columbia as Vice President, Students and his appointment has been received positively by staff and students.
Dan DiCenzo, Vice President University Affairs and Academics for UTMSU and Undergraduate Student Representative on the University Affairs Board, commented that “the new appointed Warden [possesses] the required experience … to ensure Hart House continues to be a success.” He also mentioned that the decision to appoint Professor Kidd was unanimous.

Professor Kidd’s involvement and experience with Hart House and the University of Toronto began in the early 1960s.

“I’ve been involved at U of T most of my life. I first came here as a high school student to see a play in the theatre, and the next year, I came to train with the U of T track team,” Kidd said. “I turned down offers to go to any other university … [because] through Hart House, I had discovered the energy of U of T, the intellectual stimulation, and the mix of sport, arts, and literature.”

In 1970, Kidd was offered a lecturer’s position in political science and then proceeded to teach public policy during a ten-year stead at the Faculty of Physical Education and Health, where he later became the Dean.

“And I’m still here,” Kidd said proudly.

His involvement at U of T extends beyond his work as a professor. During his university years, Kidd was a staff member at The Varsity, a successful track athlete, and was inducted into U of T’s Sports Hall of Fame in 1988. His many achievements include being twice inducted into the Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame and receiving the Order of Canada in 2004.

“I’ve had a very rich life, largely because I’ve been involved at U of T,” said Kidd.

When asked about his goals as Warden of the House, Kidd revealed that he is committed to promoting accessibility and inclusivity in Hart House. He remembered a time when the House only catered to Anglo-Saxon, upper class males, and women had to fight for the right to participate. He recalled the struggles of his female teammates who were denied the right to use the facilities in the 1960s.

In particular, he discussed having to open fire doors to help his female teammates sneak into the building just so they could access the facilities. The women had to wear hoodies in order to pass as men. Once, he remembers Canadian track star and U of T alumna Abby Hoffman attempting to use the track “as an open woman” and being denied the right to participate.
“…And this was a woman who represented Canada in four Olympic games,” said Kidd, outraged.

Acknowledging Hart House as a site for equity struggles but also a symbol of democracy and evolution, Kidd is dedicated to “making [the] building, its programs, and activities welcoming to every U of T student regardless of their background.” He maintains a positive vision for the future of the House.

“One of the great strengths of Hart House is that students [can be] engaged in just about every aspect,” said Kidd. “It’s a tremendous place for students to learn about the richness of Canadian culture … It’s ‘a living laboratory’. I call it the co-curricular college — it’s all about learning in a synergistic and exciting way.”

Kidd promised to devote himself to his responsibilities as Warden and work in conjunction with the other members of the House in a collective effort to achieve success.

“I want to provide support of continuity to the directions that were launched by the previous Warden and turn the House over to a new Warden in the spring with all the momentum that one would hope,” he said. “[I want to make] the informal co-curricular agenda in the house an even more effective place for learning and infuse that spirit in every aspect of the House.”

“We’re excited to see Professor Kidd return to the University in the role of Warden at Hart House,” said Danielle Sandhu, President of UTSU. “We value his work on challenging discrimination, increasing accessibility to sport, and improving fitness. We look forward to working with him to ensure that Hart House continues to provide an inclusive space for our members to develop culturally, artistically and recreationally, and that these goals are supported by all members of the University community.”