The names of Canadian university and college researchers found guilty of academic misconduct may be publicly displayed, according to a new joint policy by three federal research agencies.

The 17-page document, entitled “Tri-Agency Framework: Responsible Conduct of Research,” was released last December by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. It outlines various procedures on addressing misconduct allegations to ensure the accountability of public funds, and inspire responsible research.

Associate vice-president, research Peter Lewis described the new framework as a complex system.

[pullquote]“[The system] balances the need for transparency and accountability in the use of public money. It instills public confidence that research is being conducted appropriately.”[/pullquote]

“The subject of responsible of research involves many facets,” he said. “This framework involves a number of policies that are all put together in a single document. It covers quite a wide range.”

Researchers applying for grants from the agencies are now required to sign a consent form disclosing their personal information. In the event of a serious research infraction, the agencies may publish the researcher’s name, employer, and the nature of the breach.

The agencies will also post statistical information on the number of allegations considered and their outcomes on its websites.

“Most developed countries have similar systems in place which permit names to be published,” vice-provost, faculty and academic life, Edith Hillan wrote in an email. “[The system] balances the need for transparency and accountability in the use of public money. It instills public confidence that research is being conducted appropriately.”

All full-time and part-time faculty, staff, and students at U of T who seek grants or financial support from the agencies are subjected to this new measure.

It does not, however, apply to students who participate in researches for credits or are employed as research assistants.

The obligations of these students are outlined separately in U of T’s “Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters.”

According to Lewis, the additional consent form, however, shouldn’t surprise U of T’s research community.

“When you apply for a grant through the University of Toronto, you sign the bottom of the grant and by signing the grant, you are implicitly acknowledging the rules and regulations that govern the grant,” he said. “‘[The Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information]’ is a separate document to highlight what that signature used to mean.”

Lewis added that U of T discovers “just a few” cases of research misconduct every year.

“It’s not a huge number when you think we have thousands of scientists at the University of Toronto,” he said. “This is a fairly rare event.”

Plagiarism — such as recycling data from one’s earlier researches without attribution or copying other research — is the most common type of research misconduct. Others include publishing false results, fabricating research data, and misusing research funds.

The framework also suggests that breaches of research policies are “extremely rare” in Canada. Between 2000–2011, Canadian Institute of Health Research received 97 allegations but only 34 were found to be actual misconducts. CIHR only took recourse in 14 of the 34 confirmed misconduct cases.

The Panel on Responsible Conduct of Research (PRCR) based in Ottawa will oversee the implementation of the new tri-agency framework and consider allegations. Members of the panel, who are all volunteers, are drawn from across the country representing a range of disciplines.